PDA

View Full Version : Heart Rate Monitor Showing False Reading

RODBOYCE
07-19-2010, 11:07 AM
My HRM was working perfectly until my last three or four rides, when it showed a very high reading at the start of the ride, thereafter it is accurate. I have read that this problem can be caused by flapping clothing but in my case this cannot apply as I have always worn the same tight fitting lycra short sleeved summer jersey without any jacket. The HRM had always been wetted the same way, with water. Any solutions would be welcome.

SMHAGGER707
07-19-2010, 11:22 AM
My HRM was working perfectly until my last three or four rides, when it showed a very high reading at the start of the ride, thereafter it is accurate. I have read that this problem can be caused by flapping clothing but in my case this cannot apply as I have always worn the same tight fitting lycra short sleeved summer jersey without any jacket. The HRM had always been wetted the same way, with water. Any solutions would be welcome.

I have experienced this when only wearing certain of my short-sleeved jerseys when riding. I suspect is has to do with the composition of the fabric in the jersey as some of mine cause this problem, others don't. I have also found that I do not experience this when wearing a baselayer underneath the jersey.

So, the way I've solved this problem is as follows: (Assuming its too hot outside to wear a baselayer) I've cut out a piece of fabric roughly 4" x 4" square (composition is just a simple piece of old boxer shorts or undreshirt-primarily a cotton garment), wetted my HR strap and chest as I usually do, install the strap on my chest (as I normally do) and then take the small piece of cloth / fabric and wrap it around only the center portion (the sending unit portion-not the left and right electrodes) of my HR strap (I'm using the 'older' strap). The size usually allows for 2 - 2 1/2 full wraps around the sending unit.

That's it-very simple solution that works 100% for me-no more false HR readings, no additional heat from wearing a baselayer as all I'm doing is protecting the strap 'locally' wear the problem occurs (thus 'preventing' impact from a jersey onto the sending unit). The cause is up for debate-the solution works regardless of the 'theoretical cause'.

Hope this helps.

(PS I have no experience with the premium strap, but assume the same simple approach will work just as effectively there also...).

RODBOYCE
07-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Thanks for that. I'll give it a try. What I don't understand is that I have worn the same jersey for all the rides, some of which recorded correct HRM readings and some that didn't. I look forward to seeing if your suggestion works.

RDONSON
07-19-2010, 12:22 PM
My HRM was working perfectly until my last three or four rides, when it showed a very high reading at the start of the ride, thereafter it is accurate.

What are the readings you're seeing?
What would it be normally?
How long did the high readings last?

SMHAGGER707
07-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks for that. I'll give it a try. What I don't understand is that I have worn the same jersey for all the rides, some of which recorded correct HRM readings and some that didn't. I look forward to seeing if your suggestion works.

My jersey's did the same thing (sometimes did it, other times didn't). I've traced it back to the right combination of wind direction / speed, and/or speed of descent causing my shirt to flap just right against the sending unit (just my theory).

ANTFLY
07-24-2010, 04:47 PM
All you need is conductivity gel.

RODBOYCE
07-28-2010, 07:20 AM
The high readings are in the range 250bpm they should be showing about 120bpm. It is always at the start of the ride. After about 5 to 10 minutes the reading is correct. Even though the shirt is still flapping.

AMAFERANGA
07-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Try saliva instead of water.

ANTFLY
07-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Why is this still being discussed when i`ve told you what you need to solve the problem?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lectron-II-Conductivity-Gel-250/dp/B002AQC49C

WILLEMHU
07-28-2010, 11:02 AM
I have the premium strap which worked fine for the first 10 rides. Then high spikes(false) would occur usually after 1 hour of riding. I have always used electro gel and in 20 years of different hr monitors usage, this never occurred. I tried the 4" wrap of the sending unit which worked for two rides but now the spikes are even more frequent.
As much as I enjoy the GPS, I expect a reliable hr function.
GARMIN please come up with a fix.

PRICEY_UK
09-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Why is this still being discussed when i`ve told you what you need to solve the problem?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lectron-II-Conductivity-Gel-250/dp/B002AQC49C

I use this on my Forerunner 110 (when I use it cycling) and still get the same issue. Will try wrapping fabric around the middle bit as suggested

RICHGRIEVE
09-01-2010, 02:22 PM
I've seen this effect over the years, with various brands of heart rate monitors. I've never been able to solve the problem just by improving the contacts (i.e. gel, water, or saliva). My guess is that it is caused by static electricity interference with the HRM's wireless transmitter, or general interference with the electronics. I've also observed that different jersies seem to interfere more.
One thing you can try is to wet your jersey near the transmitter, with a quick spray from your water bottle, to try to reduce the static interference.
Rich

PRICEY_UK
09-02-2010, 03:53 AM
I've cut out a piece of fabric roughly 4" x 4" square (composition is just a simple piece of old boxer shorts or undreshirt-primarily a cotton garment), wetted my HR strap and chest as I usually do, install the strap on my chest (as I normally do) and then take the small piece of cloth / fabric and wrap it around only the center portion (the sending unit portion-not the left and right electrodes) of my HR strap (I'm using the 'older' strap). The size usually allows for 2 - 2 1/2 full wraps around the sending unit.

Tried this last night and it worked (although it was that windy). Will keep doing this and hopefully it will continue to work.

WERNER.SCHUSTER
09-02-2010, 06:02 PM
i also have constant problems with the premium heartrate-strap. Times of very high values make it impossible to check my maximum heartrate.

that phenomenon isnt affected wether i user water or electrode-gel under the strap or not. it simply occures on every second ride i do.

now i saw that garmin announced a new heartrate-strap with the edge 800 and i wonder if i should call the support and ask for a change for my (1 1/2 month old) "premium" strap.

ANTFLY
09-03-2010, 02:44 AM
I agree that some jerseys seem to intefere so perhaps it's the jersey. It`s a perrenial problem though with all HRMS, especially at the start of the ride and all you can do is try and reduce the chances of it happening. You can still see your max HR for each lap.

RANDOMNAME324
09-05-2010, 11:01 AM
I experience the same issue.

I use a Garmin 62s (with firmware v 2.40) to read data from my heart rate monitor, showed here: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=15490

When I start cycling, the heart rate bpm stays above 240 bpm for 10 minutes, after which it drops to a (it seems) more reliable bpm. I don't have another Garmin device to read my heart rate monitor to see if the problem is with the 62s or with the heartrate monitor itself.

What could have any influence is that I also have a cadence sensor running at the same moment, which seems to work perfectly.

Buggy hardware (62s / heart rate monitor), or buggy firmware of the 62?

DUCHUNTER
09-05-2010, 06:58 PM
This has been discussed elsewhere on these forums. The Garmin Premium strap (ver 1.0) simply does not work well. On another thread somewhere out here people have suggested using the Polar Wearlink+ strap, and have found it works great with the Garmin Ant+ transmitter snapped in. Others have said buy just about any other brands Ant+ Heart Rate strap. For me I JUST started testing the Polar strap, have ridden with it once, but the FIT file was corrupted in my Edge 500, so I cannot report on the success. I can also report that the Bontrager Ant+ strap is EXACTLY the same strap as the Garmin Premium Strap (ver 1.0).

If you look at the Edge 800 (https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=54184&postcount=14) info they have a new style Premium Heart Rate Strap, that looks suspiciously like the Polar Wearlink+. This looks like ver 2.0. Interesting.

My big problem is, the huge, thick, original Garmin HR Strap was not the most comfy but it always worked, no gel, no wetting, it just plain works. I have run various Polars, and they just work, period. Not sure what it up with the Garmins, or why there appear to be no complaints ont eh Baontragers when they are EXACTLY the same strap.

Link 1 (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=5665)

Link 2 (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=4137)

The big one, Link 3 (https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=4140)

BHUFFMAN1930
09-28-2010, 06:30 PM
I've been wondering what all the HRM (I have the so called "Premium") complaints were about UNTIL I downloaded my last 3 rides tonight, 121%, 123% & 130% of max heart rate all within the first 8 minutes of the ride then normal after that.

Hot humid weather all year and the thing worked like a charm. Now that it's cool and dry ~ BAM ~ off the chart. Guess now I know what the complaints are about.

MS6073
09-29-2010, 12:17 PM
On another thread somewhere out here people have suggested using the Polar Wearlink+ strap, and have found it works great with the Garmin Ant+ transmitter snapped in.

Rather ironic in that after I got the Edge 500, I switched to using the Garmin strap for both the Edge, Polar Wearlink (no-coded) with my Tacx Trainer, and coded Polar WIND because the Polar wearlink strap was reading erratic/high HR data! Also, judging from the images on DC Rainmaker's Edge 800 review, the 'New' Premium HR Strap appears to have combined the attachment points of the Polar Wearlink strap design with an electrode pickup design similar to the older premium strap as the Polar has a golden/yellowish mesh/grid that in my experience, tends to gets clogged with debris for which Polar recommends washing the strap in the wash machine on occasion.

EJBARNES
09-30-2010, 07:26 AM
All you need is conductivity gel.

Just squirt some water on the pickup points.
Right through the Jersey is good enough.
Once you get working the sweat is all that is needed. Lack of moisture is why you have the strange readings at the start.

HASELMERE
10-16-2010, 08:49 AM
I have experienced similar high HR readings (220+) and peaks at the beginning of a run, then it settles down. Any fixes please Garmin?

M_BURKART
10-17-2010, 12:11 PM
I too have experienced similar high HR readings (220+) and peaks at the beginning, but sometimes also in the middle of a run, then it settles down (I use Forerunner 405 and the new Premium Heart Rate Monitor). This ist really frustrating. Garmin, please fix this! And please provide an option to correct/overwrite wrong entries in GTC and Garmin Connect.

MARKNJODIEPLUS6
10-21-2010, 07:08 AM
I too just started having a problems with my 405CX - have had it for a couple months working fine with the upgraded heart rate monitor strap. This week is started showing very high HR for the first 5 minutes of my jog - after that it seems to be fine. Mine went over 200 and I've never had it much over 180 even when pushing up hills. I've seen posts on adding conductive jell but it seems to be a problem for some even with that. My strap is nice and snug. Garmin this seems to be a recurring problem with your product. Can you repeat it? Do you want my 405CX & Strap to try? I've only had it since the end of July. Check out my data if you want to see - look at the most recent entries 10/19 a run and 10/21 an exercise class. You can clearly see that on 10/19 my HR was way up (over 200) while running at a slow pace for the first 5 min or so. Let me know if there is any other information you need to fix this.
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/53594584?sms_ss=email&at_xt=4cc03ae3fa1db5a1,0

SCOTTJDAVIES
12-09-2010, 10:49 AM
I have just chopped in my Sunnto T6C for an edge 500 and now use the 310xt quick release strap for running. Perfect I thought. The HR readings I get are all over the place, it isn't just at the start. It tends to be more prone to altitiude once I get above 550m. I live in France.

This is very poor, I am going to try it with the Sunnto dual strap that I used to use with the t6c.

This in my opinion is a much better design and never gave me any issues at all!

Poor!

DBD.2020
12-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Lots of people including me have had this problem and lots of people have solved it by making sure the strap is very wet at the start of the ride or run. The strap has a velvet texture where the electordes are and absorbs water. I really soak these parts under a tap then wet my skin and put it on. High readings then only occur if I have not got going and the strap starts to dry out. Sorry if this doesn't solve the problem for everyone.

NU52NTJ
12-17-2010, 02:22 PM
I was getting very high spikes in my HR readings, usually early in a ride even if using gel. I also used to get this with my old Polar CS400. It seems to be from wearing the sensor too low. Since moving the sensor up to about 2" below the nipples I have had no more trouble.
I have developed 2 dry skin patches under the outer ends of the sensor section on the Premium belt. Now using a Polar Wearlink belt which seems better but does loose signal if it dries out. Nothing seems to be perfect. :(

GSKOUBIS
12-24-2010, 09:30 PM
I was having a problem with high HR readings early in my rides. I only have this problem during our winter with the cold (for Phoenix) dry weather.

I have the "new" premium HR strap and have tried putting it under some running water before the last couple of rides and haven't seen any problems (Yesterday's ride was 2hrs and todays was 3hrs).

JULIEN321
12-25-2010, 06:01 AM
I was having a problem with high HR readings early in my rides. I only have this problem during our winter with the cold (for Phoenix) dry weather.

I have the "new" premium HR strap and have tried putting it under some running water before the last couple of rides and haven't seen any problems (Yesterday's ride was 2hrs and todays was 3hrs).

This IS the problem everyone is having. When you start out the electrodes don't make proper contact until the skin gets moist giving false high readings.

The best solution is to by electrolyte gel. It's cheep and gives great contact (better than saliva, sweat or water) right from the start.

http://www.amazon.com/Spectra-Electrode-Parker-Labs-250GM/dp/B0002CA8RQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1293278355&sr=8-2-spell

HTRESIDDER
07-29-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm afraid I continue to be entirely dissatisfied with my HRM. I was out again yesterday and was getting readings varying between 70 - 140 bpm when at sustained peak effort. Just look at the graph - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/202748344. And today I had readings from 64 to 240 while going up steep hills, so I'm either superhuman or dead!

The monitor worked well for the first 6 months but I've been having this problem increasingly since and have tried all the proposed remedies. I wear it tight, under close-fitting woollen tops. I warm up. I've tried it at all levels on my chest. I have tried Vaseline, electrode gel, water and saliva (though I shouldn't have to keep applying saliva as I ride, and didn't need to in the early months). Any improvement lasts a few minutes. I'm a pretty sweaty chap, so that's not the problem!

The unit is just no longer picking up and/or transmitting my heartrate consistently or reliably, and so is not fit for purpose. The unit has not been mistreated in any way, and has been kept clean. The fact that it worked at first and now doesn't suggests some kind of deterioration in the strap.

It is clear from both the forum and comments on Amazon's site that this is a common problem of which Garmin are aware, but no mention of the problem is made in advertising. I bought this in good faith that it was a suitable product. In fact it's clearly faulty. Garmin need to sort it out.

KEVINMC63
08-05-2012, 04:29 PM
i am having all the problems that have been highlighted in this thread and have tried all the fixes,garmin have replaced both my 500 unit and hr strap and still my 500 gives erratic hr readings so do you all not think its time something was done by garmin to fix this,my friend has an 800 and has similar problems,as someone said earlier "not fit for purpose"

JODY1967
08-07-2012, 09:09 PM
I have found the same issue, have garmin responded to any of these posts?

I train based on heart rate and I am getting completely disillusioned. If there is no answer I will have to try another product!

I'm afraid I continue to be entirely dissatisfied with my HRM. I was out again yesterday and was getting readings varying between 70 - 140 bpm when at sustained peak effort. Just look at the graph - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/202748344. And today I had readings from 64 to 240 while going up steep hills, so I'm either superhuman or dead!

The monitor worked well for the first 6 months but I've been having this problem increasingly since and have tried all the proposed remedies. I wear it tight, under close-fitting woollen tops. I warm up. I've tried it at all levels on my chest. I have tried Vaseline, electrode gel, water and saliva (though I shouldn't have to keep applying saliva as I ride, and didn't need to in the early months). Any improvement lasts a few minutes. I'm a pretty sweaty chap, so that's not the problem!

The unit is just no longer picking up and/or transmitting my heartrate consistently or reliably, and so is not fit for purpose. The unit has not been mistreated in any way, and has been kept clean. The fact that it worked at first and now doesn't suggests some kind of deterioration in the strap.

It is clear from both the forum and comments on Amazon's site that this is a common problem of which Garmin are aware, but no mention of the problem is made in advertising. I bought this in good faith that it was a suitable product. In fact it's clearly faulty. Garmin need to sort it out.

ALORENZEN_DE
08-08-2012, 01:00 AM
Which heart belt you are using? The new soft strap? There are issues, but not everybody is affected as there cross effects with specific sports wear. I wear the old hard strap which for me is more comfortable than an older Polar soft strap I wear. I never had issues with the "old" Garmin strap for heart rate reading. Other Users bought a Polar soft strap (only the strap) used with the Garmin electronic case.
So some options to fix.
Somehow the newer versions of Garmin soft strap "SHOULD" not have this issue anymore. As I don't know how old you device is you may like to contact Garmin support.

BMS6688
08-08-2012, 01:25 AM
Good BMS system help ebike perform so charming, www.szcoresun.com here look for your needs.

MARIOMOBIEL
08-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Maybe u already tried this, but since you’re talking about the HRM working well the first 6 months, and at the moment it's not transmitting consistently. Did u try a replacement battery? I had some issues with my brand new HRM, but after replacing the battery, it worked perfectly, and still does! The battery is factory installed, and there is no way of knowing how long it's in there.

MIKE-ECKHAUS
08-26-2012, 08:33 PM
All, I have a theory on this issue, but it is just a theory. I had this problem on my HRM after it was several months old. Garmin did a warranty replacement, so I am happy. The new one works just fine. I rinse mine every few rides to get the sweat off. I always removed the transmitter before washing, then I would rinse and squeeze the strap to get the excess water off. I'm not really swift sometimes, so after a while, it hit me that there are wires inside the strap from the pickups to teh sensor, and maybe squeezing them or wringing the water out of the strap was somehow damaging the unit. I have been really careful with the new unit, and haven't had any problems with it for quite a while. So, just a theory, but maybe?

T_SMIT
08-28-2012, 08:02 AM
The electrodes in the soft strap are made of conductive rubber and they extend right from the electrode surface to the metal snaps. Bending the strap sharply or squeezing it is bad for the rubber material and can compromise the function of the strap. Rolling it up inside your gym towel is also not great. Daily maintenance, if you feel the need, should be to rinse it under cool water and then blot it dry with a towel; then hang it up so the electrode surface is not folded. This will maximize the life of the strap.

The warranty period for the HRM electronics and the electrode straps is one year, IIRC. If you have a problem with the strap inside the warranty period (especially out-of-the-box), get in touch with your retailer or Garmin customer service.

JUSTARIDER
05-10-2013, 12:03 PM
I noticed a couple rides ago that I, too, was having spikes as so many of you have mentioned. I changed the battery and had the same issue on the next road bike ride. Looked back at historical data and discovered that the spikes only occur when I'm road riding, never on the mountain bike. Today it spiked within a couple minutes of leaving the house and then several more times, primarily on fast descents. Thought to search the forum and ran across this thread. I'll try the 'cures' posted here. I tried to convince my wife that it was the bike frame and that I needed to upgrade to a carbon fiber.....cold stare.

HAMPSHIRENICK
05-29-2013, 03:09 PM
I'd been experiencing this problem, and this week for the first time I was getting elevated readings for a entire 90 minute ride, particularly when riding at speed. I concluded that I might be getting interference from pulses on the GSC 10 cadence / speed monitor. So I took out and reinserted the battery, on my Garmin unit disconnected both the HR monitor and speed/cadence monitor, switched the unit off and on again and reconnected all the monitors. After all that the HR monitor worked fine on a 2 hour ride.

WEBOSKILLA
05-30-2013, 04:24 AM
Hi, I agree with you that the problem is interference. My HR is perfectly fine running but around 200 when biking. I will try to reconnect without taking out batery and let you know.

HYDEG1@YAHOO.COM
06-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Try soaking your Garmin strap(s) in a solution of 1 cup water and 1 teaspoon liquid fabric softener. This should remove any excessive static electricity and hopefully solve your problems. Worked for me.

LOUSYJERK
06-15-2013, 05:21 PM

Pshaw! I've hit 251 so I'm more Superhuman or deader than you. :p

I've been riding the same bike with the same gear for years, bought my Garmin Edge 705 Super Duper Bundle with HRM, GSC10 and separate maps on CD back in 2010 and all was well till about a few weeks ago. Like the rest it start off crazy and then settles down.

I swapped batteries, dumped water, removed lights, turned off the phone, disabled the Kindle WiFi, prayed to various Gods but no results. I then decided to ignore it and move on which is a shame since I'm barely what one would consider an amateur cyclist, am trying to improve and would really benefit from accurate HRM readings when doing certain sections.

On today's ride the erratic numbers were, errrrrrrrrr..., erratic. It settled down at some point but I noticed mid-ride than it had started to jump again.

I also noticed (as some other have mentioned) that it seemed to go nuts when there was a speed increase. I could not peddle at all and go down a hill at 18 MPH and the numbers would be flying. But that wasn't/isn't the only instance. Cadence over 90 also seemed to make it get all antsy.

In simple terms, I've no clue but it's annoying as all *expletive.*

T_SMIT
06-16-2013, 09:21 AM
I'd been experiencing this problem, and this week for the first time I was getting elevated readings for a entire 90 minute ride, particularly when riding at speed. I concluded that I might be getting interference from pulses on the GSC 10 cadence / speed monitor. So I took out and reinserted the battery, on my Garmin unit disconnected both the HR monitor and speed/cadence monitor, switched the unit off and on again and reconnected all the monitors. After all that the HR monitor worked fine on a 2 hour ride.

It is not possible for the GSC10 and the HRM to interfere with each other at the level you describe. The HRM calculates the heart rate internally and sends that value to the watch or bike computer... missing radio messages (because of random chance or due to transmissions from another sensor) do not change the value displayed by the bike computer. The HRM and GSC10 are uniquely coded and transmit at unequal intervals so that the bike computer could never mistake the GSC10 data for a HRM, nor would they continuously transmit at the same time.

Your problem is most likely that the HRM sensor strap readings are being affected by static electricity interference from your clothing, which is always worse at the higher speeds encountered while cycling. Hunching down over the bike also exacerbates the problem.

Lastly, the fabric sensor strap does not have indefinite lifespan, and its longevity is dependent on following the care instructions. It is not required to disconnect the module from the strap after every ride, but it does help to rinse the strap fabric under clear water after a ride or run and then hang it or lay it flat to dry. The electrode material and its connections to the snap buttons can be damaged by creasing or storing the strap in a folded condition.

EONDERDE
06-16-2013, 01:00 PM
one obvious reason may be detoriating battery. If it worked for 6 months and is slowly getting worse, changing batteries may be all you need. At least that is my experience. At the end of the battery live ratings seem to get less reliable

TOTALLTOM
06-18-2013, 02:05 PM
I have had the same problem for a year now. When I ride with the wind my HR seems ok but into the wind it reads 240-250. I have talked with Garmin several times and its always the same, clean the strap and the jersey flaps. What I have a problem with is I have used $80 HR monitors and never had this problem. I am ready to junk this thing and go back to regular HR monitor and Bike computer. Garmin definitely needs to figure out what is going on with this device!

KIMBERLEYLAURENCE
07-31-2013, 09:03 PM
I just began using the garmin hr monitor strap with the forerunner 110 watch , have only used it twice and both times at the same location on my walk the hr increases to over 200 bpm And continues to show inaccurate readings until i take it off . I only bought it this week. Do you still think its static electricity? Doesn't seem to make sense that it would be wind effected as its under clothes. Do you think i should send it back. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks

VOICERESPONSE
08-01-2013, 10:41 AM
I don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest to wear the strap in a different position on your body. I've seen others that have their strap so low that I can't believe they get anything close to a reliable reading. One runner wears his almost below his ribcage an I feel like oneday I'm going to have to stop and ask if he gets any reading at all from it. So y'all try repositioning the strap up or down on your chest, might help, might not.

I've got the 'new' premium HR strap and have not had any issues other than a early battery replacement. Though I wear both loose and snug fitting nylon tops, never any 'static' issue. In the first few months of use I used to wet my skin under the electrode patches, but I quit doing that over a year ago, and still no issues.

If the position of the strap on your body isn't the issue, then could it be all the voodoo stuff y'all are going through is the real culprit? If the strap doesn't give reliable HR info then take it back to the store and exchange it. Or, before the warranty expires get Garmin Support and work with them to get a replacement.

U16390
04-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Pshaw! I've hit 251 so I'm more Superhuman or deader than you. :p

I've been riding the same bike with the same gear for years, bought my Garmin Edge 705 Super Duper Bundle with HRM, GSC10 and separate maps on CD back in 2010 and all was well till about a few weeks ago. Like the rest it start off crazy and then settles down.

I swapped batteries, dumped water, removed lights, turned off the phone, disabled the Kindle WiFi, prayed to various Gods but no results. I then decided to ignore it and move on which is a shame since I'm barely what one would consider an amateur cyclist, am trying to improve and would really benefit from accurate HRM readings when doing certain sections.

On today's ride the erratic numbers were, errrrrrrrrr..., erratic. It settled down at some point but I noticed mid-ride than it had started to jump again.

I also noticed (as some other have mentioned) that it seemed to go nuts when there was a speed increase. I could not peddle at all and go down a hill at 18 MPH and the numbers would be flying. But that wasn't/isn't the only instance. Cadence over 90 also seemed to make it get all antsy.

In simple terms, I've no clue but it's annoying as all *expletive.*

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel your pain. Same symptoms. I feel like I'm training blind. BTW - One of the posts spoke of using a Polar strap. I tried my wife's and it does not fit with the Garmin HRM. The Garmin piece pops right off the strap. I really wish Polar would design better products to help Garmin's $600 gadgets work as marketed. I will now try fabric softener and vodoo. Funny how my IPad works going 650 mph at 10,000 feet with no static problem. Same with my iphone, and ipod. Even cheap Kindles work. Am I missing something? Is Garmin seriously advising us to use fabric softener? Static...like it's my problem and not a rudimentary design flaw.