PDA

View Full Version : 310XT tracklog/trackpiont issue

JCWILFONG
08-19-2009, 10:34 AM
I use my 310XT to track training data while I in-line skate. Twice in the past 4 days the watch started displaying erratic lap-pace data while training. When the training data is uploaded into TC the first 4 to 5 laps are OK, but the rest of the skate, the trackpoints are far and few between. The watch gives me no indication of satellite reception problems or memory full problems. My speed (when graphed), and lap times (while skating) are all off. I typically skate a 5 minute 1 mile lap. The watch will show me a pace/lap time of 20 to 30 minutes while skating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-DAMON-
08-20-2009, 10:18 AM
JCWILFONG,

Are you using "other" mode? If so, I would recommend changing to "biking" or "running" for the time being. When you upload your data into Garmin Connect, you can still change the activity type.

Have fun skating with the new 310XT!

-Damon-

JCWILFONG
08-20-2009, 05:55 PM
I use the 310XT in "run" mode only after finding out the 310XT will not record my footpod data in the "other" mode. The day I unpacked my 310XT, I set the auto lap to 1 mile and fitted my footpod to my left skate and it works great for recording SPM/RPM cadance during the skate. I did a 12 mile skate this morning. the first 6 laps recorded great. Laps 7 thru 9 I had lap/speed issues again. Laps 10 - 12 were OK. Thanks for the advice Damon.

BBECKER39
08-21-2009, 07:46 AM
You might try an activity with your footpod off. I am not sure what kind of effect it could have, but the speed coming from the footpod is probably not accurate since it is not designed for skating. Also, how are you wearing the unit while skating? The antenna on the unit is between the start and lap buttons and generally points straight up for a runner. If the antenna is not pointing up, or is obstructed, it may be causing reception problems.

JCWILFONG
08-29-2009, 07:54 AM
You might try an activity with your footpod off. I am not sure what kind of effect it could have, but the speed coming from the footpod is probably not accurate since it is not designed for skating. Also, how are you wearing the unit while skating? The antenna on the unit is between the start and lap buttons and generally points straight up for a runner. If the antenna is not pointing up, or is obstructed, it may be causing reception problems.

I did an 8 mile skate, 1/2 of it with the footpod on and the last 1/2 with the footpod off. It appears the unit is calculating speed intermittently using the footpod data. I made sure the unit is set to calculate speed from GPS and not the footpod. Settings>Run Settings>Foot Pod>Speed Source>GPS. I also repositioned the unit on my wrist. The foot pad data is useful to me while training, but if it is the cause of my speed/lap issue, I'll have to stop using it. Thanks for all your help :)

BBECKER39
08-31-2009, 08:10 AM
The 310XT update has been released:
https://forums.garmin.com/showpost.php?p=6571&postcount=30

There was an issue with the footpod addressed with this update, but I'm not sure if it will effect what you are seeing with skating.

JCWILFONG
09-08-2009, 07:23 PM
I downloaded and installed the new update. Still testing the unit with the footpod to see if there is any difference. Thanks for your help.