This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Only 720p from 4k on Virb Ultra??

Hi all

I've recently got the Virb Ultra and am very pleased that it actually seems to work with Virb edit mobile - unlike the ultra or Xe.

When I export a video though it says "maximum quality" but only outputs my 4k video at 720p....

What's up with that? I bought a 4k camera, I want to upload 4k to YouTube...

Is there a setting that I have missed somewhere?

Thanks
  • Are you really talking about the mobile App?
    Virb Edit on a PC reduces the quality, to enhance the cutting/preview performance (Still unasked, annoying, superflous on none 4k cameras, hdd space consuming, ect.). But this is not affecting the exporting quality itself.

On mobile, the preview is (understandable) also not in full quality. But the result should be!
  • Yup. On my PC can output 4k no problem. On mobile it seems to be limited to 720p
  • Hi all

I've recently got the Virb Ultra and am very pleased that it actually seems to work with Virb edit mobile - unlike the ultra or Xe.

When I export a video though it says "maximum quality" but only outputs my 4k video at 720p....

What's up with that? I bought a 4k camera, I want to upload 4k to YouTube...

Is there a setting that I have missed somewhere?

Thanks

Hi Roaders,

The ability to export your 4k clip is dependent on the power of your phone. You cannot export at 4k if you have a "budget" phone, for example, a Galaxy J7 or most Moto or LG phones. On Android a Galaxy S7 or higher, Pixel, LG Nexus 5x, Nexus 6, Xperia Z5 Premium or similarly powered phone will export at 4k no problem. On iOS you can only export at 4k with either a iPhone SE or iPhone 6s or higher (iPhone 6 cannot export at 4k, it is not powerful enough).

On the export screen you'll see a button that says something like "Export at higher quality 4k". If you tap that button the app will try to export at 4k, if it fails it is because your phone is not strong enough.

If you need to share a clip at 4k, but you don't have a good phone you can always export/share using the VIRB Edit desktop app which can export at 4k with older PC and Macs.

Some phones that cannot export at 4k in Edit View (screen where you can make cuts and add music), for example, the Note 5 and Galaxy S6, can export from the Library at 4k, you can give that a shot. To export from the library long press one or more clips then tap the share button.

If you believe you have a powerful enough phone please reply and we can try and troubleshoot your problem.

Thanks
  • Yes, I have a powerful phone - a Pixel 2 XL. It should definitely be capable of exporting at 4k. In fact It exports 360 videos at 4k I think, just not from the virb ultra.