This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VIRB Android app cannot play videos from VIRB Ultra 30

Using Garmin VIRB 4.1.1.0 @ Android 7.0 (Huawei MediaPad M3) with VIRB Ultra 30 (sw version 4.30) camera but the app cannot play any of the videos in the camera. Life view is ok.

Based on the reviews in Android Play store it seems I am not the only one with this issue. The latest update for the app is from Oct 18 2017 so the issue is not particularly recent either.

Are there any plans or hope for getting this issue resolved?
  • Using Garmin VIRB 4.1.1.0 @ Android 7.0 (Huawei MediaPad M3) with VIRB Ultra 30 (sw version 4.30) camera but the app cannot play any of the videos in the camera. Life view is ok.

Based on the reviews in Android Play store it seems I am not the only one with this issue. The latest update for the app is from Oct 18 2017 so the issue is not particularly recent either.

Are there any plans or hope for getting this issue resolved?

Hi taju-ma,

This is most likely not a bug, but it could be and it is a problem. Please let me explain. In general the VIRB Mobile app is currently as powerful as the device you're using, in your case the Huawei MediaPad M3. Playback uses hardware encoding/decoding. Your device looks to have decent specs and resolution, but it appears your device only supports 1080p 30fps Video (most flagship devices support many more). You should be able to playback 1080p 30fps clips, but you'll have varying results in any other resolution or fps since your phone doesn't support other video resolutions or fps.

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_medi...3_8_4-8315.php

The developers are aware of this issue and are hard at work to find a software workaround. I have no info on if or when a software solution will be released.
    If the device is rooted: Having a rooted devices could also cause issues.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Download latest app and try again.
    https://www.apkoffice.com/app/garmin-virb-apk

Do not download from this link, please only download from the PlayStore, APK's are more likely to contain malware or viruses if you download apps outside of the PlayStore. Garmin only uploads Android builds to the PlayStore.