This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

VIRB app for Android Galaxy S7 Active

Got my Garmin VIRB 360 in but found out now that the app for my Samsung Galaxy S7 Active is not compatible with my device. Also read the comments in the Play store and there are a ton of negative comments from the folks who have the app on other devices. Does anyone know if/when the app in the Play store will be updated so it can be used with a Galaxy S7?
  • Hello,

The VIRB Mobile app is absolutely compatible with your device. We have an S7 in house as a testing device. I looked up the specs on the S7 Active and you should have Android 6.0.1. Your device should work great.

We have read the comments on our Google Play page. It is disappointing that our users are having difficulty with the app. We will be releasing an update very soon addressing the connection problems people are having. Android made a change starting with 6.0 in how applications can access and use Wi-Fi connections. We have seen that many devices do not want to connect to a Wi-Fi connection that does not have internet access and will drop the connection in favor of another network that does. However we have worked hard to address these issues. In short, if you use our app to set up your connection you should have no problems.

If you can describe the exact problem you are having I’ll try to help.
  • Hello,

The VIRB Mobile app is absolutely compatible with your device. We have an S7 in house as a testing device. I looked up the specs on the S7 Active and you should have Android 6.0.1. Your device should work great.

We have read the comments on our Google Play page. It is disappointing that our users are having difficulty with the app. We will be releasing an update very soon addressing the connection problems people are having. Android made a change starting with 6.0 in how applications can access and use Wi-Fi connections. We have seen that many devices do not want to connect to a Wi-Fi connection that does not have internet access and will drop the connection in favor of another network that does. However we have worked hard to address these issues. In short, if you use our app to set up your connection you should have no problems.

When I go to the Google Play store it tells me my device is not compatible. No option to install as a result.
  • Hello,

I run Android 7.0 at the moment. I uploaded a picture of the Google Play store but it will be delayed until approved by moderator.
  • Hello again,

Thank you for providing the screenshot and. I’m sorry that you are encountering this issue as we do support your device. Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this issue on our S7 or any other test device we have.

I spent some time googling and found some advice that may shed some light on the problem:

- You could try clearing the Google Play store cache by going to Settings -> Apps -> Google Play Store -> Storage -> Clear Data
    - Launch Google Play Store and try to install Virb Mobile
    - You could also try reinstalling Google Play Store

The only other thing that has changed is the 360 camera has a NFC tag for automatic Wi-Fi connection. Does your device support this?

Thank you again for your efforts. We will continue to look into this on our side as well.
  • Hello again,

Thank you for providing the screenshot and. I’m sorry that you are encountering this issue as we do support your device. Unfortunately, I cannot reproduce this issue on our S7 or any other test device we have.

I spent some time googling and found some advice that may shed some light on the problem:

- You could try clearing the Google Play store cache by going to Settings -> Apps -> Google Play Store -> Storage -> Clear Data
    - Launch Google Play Store and try to install Virb Mobile
    - You could also try reinstalling Google Play Store

The only other thing that has changed is the 360 camera has a NFC tag for automatic Wi-Fi connection. Does your device support this?

Thank you again for your efforts. We will continue to look into this on our side as well.

Thanks for looking into this. Uninstalling and reinstalling did not work unfortunately.
  • I finally was able to install on my mobile device by using the download link on the Garmin website by accessing it on my mobile phone. The Google Play store then recognized it was installed and I was able to download the latest app version although no other info was visible (like the Read More and comments) on the Google Play app store. But I got it to work.
  • That is good to hear. Thank you for sharing your solution.