This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

WiFi fails to connect with Moto G4 Plus with Android 6.0.1

Hello !

I am enjoying my new Garmin Virb X, however Garmin Virb App fails to connect via WiFi using my Moto G4 Plus).

Issue:
- Both WiFi has been Enabled ( on Garmin Virb X and Smartphone );
- Virb App ask for password, type and save it., but keeps trying connect forever.
- I tried change many WiFi setting but no success. WiFi works perfectly for other devices like routers.

Actions performed:
- I have followed all instruction as described on user manual;
- Removed Garmin Virb
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.garmin.android.apps.virb
- Using other smartphone like Samsung J5 works perfectly.
- Changed password;
- Installed latest firmware ( 4.3 )

Device information:
Moto G Plus:
https://www.motorola.ca/products/moto-g-plus
Android 6.0.1

Garmin Virb X:
Installed latest firmware ( 4.3 )

I really appreciate any help!
Thanks,
Mauricio Borges
  • Hello !

I am enjoying my new Garmin Virb X, however Garmin Virb App fails to connect via WiFi using my Moto G4 Plus).

Issue:
    - Both WiFi has been Enabled ( on Garmin Virb X and Smartphone );
    - Virb App ask for password, type and save it., but keeps trying connect forever.
    - I tried change many WiFi setting but no success. WiFi works perfectly for other devices like routers.

Actions performed:
    - I have followed all instruction as described on user manual;
    - Removed Garmin Virb
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.garmin.android.apps.virb
    - Using other smartphone like Samsung J5 works perfectly.
    - Changed password;
    - Installed latest firmware ( 4.3 )

Device information:
    Moto G Plus:
    https://www.motorola.ca/products/moto-g-plus
    Android 6.0.1

Garmin Virb X:
    Installed latest firmware ( 4.3 )

I really appreciate any help!
    Thanks,
    Mauricio Borges

I have exactly the same specs and problem as you, except that I now have Android 7, as you might well have by now as your original post was 6 months ago!
    I can't believe there is still no solution to this problem which seems to affect people across both operating systems and a variety of phones.

Is there anyone here who can connect the app to their phone? I have contacted garmin support by e-mail and suggest anyone who hasn't already done so already to contact them. I'll post back if I hear anything back from them.
  • Hello,
    An updated version of the app has been released with improvements to Wi-Fi connect. There is an Android issue out of our control where some devices will not allow apps to connect to Wi-Fi networks they did not create.
    - Go to Settings->Wi-Fi and “forget” your cameras network
    - Return to the VIRB app
    - Setup the camera network
    This should resolve the connection problem.
  • I've got a Moto G5 Plus with Android 7.0 and the latest VIRB XE firmware (after a couple of failed updates with Garmin Edit app, and a successful update with Garmin Express - why are there 2 apps that offer the same function but only one that works?).
    In the numerous attempts to connect my phone with the VIRB XE, I have managed to connect ONCE and that was the night before I went skiing. Since then I've not been able to connect again.
    In desperation i asked my pal with his iPhone 6s to install the iOS version of Garmin Edit and that connected first time and was able to download all the content. So why is this not working in the Android app?

The standard response saying to forget the WiFi connection DOES NOT WORK.
  • I've got a Moto G5 Plus with Android 7.0 and the latest VIRB XE firmware (after a couple of failed updates with Garmin Edit app, and a successful update with Garmin Express - why are there 2 apps that offer the same function but only one that works?).
    In the numerous attempts to connect my phone with the VIRB XE, I have managed to connect ONCE and that was the night before I went skiing. Since then I've not been able to connect again.
    In desperation i asked my pal with his iPhone 6s to install the iOS version of Garmin Edit and that connected first time and was able to download all the content. So why is this not working in the Android app?

The standard response saying to forget the WiFi connection DOES NOT WORK.

Hi techie-nerdo,

Sorry you're having connection issues. The developers are aware of this issue and have identified the problem. The problem is with Moto (G4/G5) wifi chips and not the VIRB app/camera. I don't know all the details, but the chips aren't that great and don't work well with VIRB hardware and competitor products. The developers are keeping their eyes peeled for a software solution. I have no information if or when a solution will be released.

The good news is the connection issue doesn't always occur. I've gone days without seeing this issue occur, but when it does occur it occurs often. Here are some things to try to get Moto devices to work with the VIRB:
    1. Restart your phone and camera
    2. Reset your camera to factory defaults (this will not delete your clips)
    3. Turn off Bluetooth from the phone prior to trying to connect
    4. If you're stuck in the continuous connection state make sure you go and forget the Camera in the Moto's wifi settings before continuing to troubleshoot.

Thanks for the feedback!