This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

We don't support the file type you tried to import - recovered FIT file but seems corrupt

Hi,

I went out for a long walk and recorded it as a walking activity "outside" with GPS.

It was over one hour, and when I saved it on my Vivosport it indicated a total of 7,700 steps.

However, it did not synch to Garmin Connect. I tried to synch through Garmin Express and the activity did not appear.

I tried extracting it directly from my watch, using it as a mass storage device. However the folder D:\GARMIN\ACTIVITY was empty.

I downloaded Recuva and was able to extract three files. I can see the one, which was saved at the same time I saved it. It states it is 47K in size and is excellent, no overwritten segments detected. It is the last activity I saved, and have not saved anything since that one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[D:] FAT12, 5.17 MB. Cluster size: 2048. Found 3 files.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Filename Size Path
_1DG1113.FIT 16115 D:\GARMIN\ACTIVITY\
_1DG4602.FIT 48425 D:\GARMIN\ACTIVITY\
_1CK1232.FIT 26098 D:\GARMIN\ACTIVITY\

When I try to import it to Garmin Express, I get an error message: We don't support the file type you tried to import.

I tried fixing it with FIT TOOLS as suggested in the forum, however, when I run it through the "sections" option, it yields a 2 minutes activity - which is not what it was.

Can the nice developers_1DG4602.zip help me repair it please?

Top Replies

All Replies

• Can the nice developers_1DG4602.zip help me repair it please?

I'm neither nice nor a developer.Grinning Regardless, I tried with FIT File Repair Tool It yielded the same results as you got. Total time 2:14 and 0.2 km. 

The tools reported the following problems:

• 12,159 bytes of the file are corrupted and could not be repaired.
    • The recording ended abruptly and without the expected summary records. Probably data records at the end of the recording are missing.
    • 2 warnings have been generated during the import process.

The last time stamp obviously wrong with a date of 1997 and a huge GPS position error.

• Thank you much for looking into it! I think this is evidence against your statement of not being nice Slight smile

That's a whole lot more information. And what's that about 1997?!?!?! And my walk was maybe in a 3km diameter! 

These are massive errors!

It's odd because my activity did not end abruptly (I did not run out of battery, I had lots of charge). I made it to my door, looked at the number of steps (7,700), and saved the activity. 

I am sad because I am in challenge that counts walking but only under recorded walking activities Disappointed And I have lost the record of a whole 7,700 steps effort! Sob

I reckon this is unlikely to be fixable at all? I note that the original fit file is 47k and the repaired one is only 1.9k!

• I looked at the file with a hex editor, and see it contains three FIT file headers. Normally there must be only one. The first header is correctly at the start of the file, then there is another one at the position 0x0800 (2048 bytes), and the third at the position 0x1800 (6144 bytes). From that it is rather clear that the original activity was overwritten with other files.

I've split the three parts into individual files, but do not have the FFRT to fix and look at them, so am just putting them back here. I doubt though a bit that there will be anything valuable, anyway.

1007._1DG4602.zip

• Thanks . I ran those through FFRT. 

• chunk 01 - "The recording ended abruptly and without the expected summary records. Probably data records at the end of the recording are missing." 0.2km distance. So basically what we already have.
    • chunk 02 - No errors but no records, 0 distance
    • chunk 03 - "40314 bytes of the file are corrupted and could not be repaired." No records, 0 distance
  • Yes, I think the two other chunks are just temporary FIT files, possibly monitoring files. As I wrote, some sectors of the original activity was quite clearly overwritten - that's also why the 2nd and the 3rd chunks were at a well rounded offset of 0x800, resp. 0x1800.

• Former Member
    +1 Former Member over 3 years ago

solved

• You GENIOUS! I can't believe my eyes Astonished That's my route! It's only missing the last 3 blocks from the convenience store I stopped at to my house, like 5 min. Slight smile

Thank you, this is incredible!  I appreciate you looking into this and I don't know how you did this but it is absolute class! Trophy

Thank you to  &  as well for helping me Grin

PS: A note to non tech people like me, when importing the brand new fixed file, I kept getting the old results. I had to delete the activity on Garmin Connect and re-import the new file TADAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

• Thank you for looking into this, I appreciate your time!

Curiously, that was the last activity I saved on the watch, so I did not save anything new on top - if I understand what you are sayin, about overwriting.

Thanks!Blush

• Thank you for looking into the file and for taking the time to help me! Gracias Relieved

PS: I have no idea what FFRT is but it definitely helped with the solution XD

• Curiously, that was the last activity I saved on the watch, so I did not save anything new on top - if I understand what you are sayin, about overwriting.

The watch writes permanently diverse other temporary files, like for example those containing the daily steps, HR, calories, settings, etc, regardless whether you save something or not. However, since the three chunks could have been joined, they finally apparently contained the right data. I have no idea why the additonal FIT file headers were injected into the main file. Was the storage on the device full? Did you clean up the folder //GARMIN/Activity/ after this mishap, to make some free space?