Cannot add device using GCM on Windows Mobile

I recently needed to delete the GCM app because of the amount of problems I have had with it, though I question how many are because of the app and how many are because GC is moving forward and Garmin isn't keeping GCM in sync any more.

I have attempted for two days now to connect my device back to the app. It pairs via Bluetooth without issue, but then gets stuck with a "Connecting" status and the little man never stops running. I have given it hours. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app again. I have rebooted my device numerous times. The most frustrating is to even get this far I need to delete the pairing out of my Bluetooth settings each time I try.

It has already been weeks since the app actually synced my data other than showing real-time stats and giving me access to the devices smart features. Asside from that all syncing has needed to occur using Garmin Express. This really needs to be fixed or I need a full refund for my Garmin device (Vivoactive3) and all my accessories (Footpod, Speed sensor, and Cadence sensor), because right now I can't use the device the way it is advertised or intended.
  • Same here. Will have to send it back.
  • FastMover It is supposed to just be new features which don't work. Such as the VA3's Garmin Pay. I had my VA3 syncing with my phone for over a month. Then it would still pair and sync but the data stopped making it to the server. I haven't been able to get through to Garmin because their chat support hasn't work for me in a month and the phone line is usually busy when I have a chance to call during their business hours.
  • I ended up finally getting a hold of Garmin support tonight. I can't call during the day due to work and the chat hasn't worked in weeks (not that it was every that helpful as it always required me to call and complain about the rep I was chatting with). So after waiting for 45+ mins for a call back, then waiting on hold for almost another 10 to get a rep, she asked me what os my device had but only gave me two options, needless to say windows was not one of them. When I said windows she was a little surprised but was willing to help me. Half the call was spent with her putting me on hold to check with their support. She had me restore my device to defaults, reset the app, and try pairing again. It still got stuck on "Connecting" with the running man after pairing over Bluetooth the same as before, but this time the device didn't go back to its normal function as it has no settings to go back to. I was told I am being added to an existing case of people having trouble pairing Garmin devices to windows phones but no information on when this might be resolved or even if they are actively working on the problem. I tried to explain to her that for the most part things were fine when GC 4.0 came out and the Windows version of GCM was released diverging from the main branch saying at 3.x but after GC 4.1 I have had a number of syncing issues and my phone became only useful for enabling the smart functions of the device and all syncing needed to occur using Garmin Express (definitely not ideal after being promised this device would definitely work with my phone before upgrading and only having less than a month of partial functionality before it stopped working completely).

At this point if Garmin would just return my money for all of their products I can no longer use (VA3, Footpod, Bike Speed/Cadence sensors, and Index scale) I would just take it and return everything to them and go back to Fitbit.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 3 years ago
    @BlackScarab yeah I did the same thing, I've been Garmin customer for years (at least 5) went though several fenix devices, FR, and bike computers. but now I've bought Fitbit Ionic which works with Windows 10 Phone or PC without a problem whatsoever. I'm pretty happy with Ionic it actually has more features that I care about which Garmin lacks. Too bad Garmin alienates people that happen like Windows. I happen to like it, and I happen to hate Android and iOS, I just do not like their UI. So **** Garmin I'm switching to Fitbit.
  • Former Member
    I'll probably be getting an Android phone in the near future, so I'm living without the mobile app/notifications for now.

I say get Fitbit instead if you are happy with Windows, why support a company that doesn't care about people that like Windows? I got a Fitbit Ionic last night and got it setup without any problems, it got recognized and setup on my Windows 10 PC and Phone (950). And it has more features that I care about (I'm not a professional athlete and don't care about VO2 MAX etc) but I do care about calories tracking, water/weight tracking which Garmin doesn't have but fitbit does.
  • Anyone have any luck getting their money back from Garmin? I bought a Vivoactive 3, which worked great until the 2.7 update. I worked with support for a couple hours, and couldn't get anywhere. Pairing the device won't work with any Windows device, whether it's a Surface, Phone, or Desktop. I even got a new phone and left it at an old firmware version to test, and it wouldn't pair. Garmin broke the watch, not the other way around. Today I got an email from support that says the Vivoactive 3 does not support Windows Phone any more, so I've asked for a refund. Anyone else go down this path?
  • Former Member
    Anyone have any luck getting their money back from Garmin? I bought a Vivoactive 3, which worked great until the 2.7 update. I worked with support for a couple hours, and couldn't get anywhere. Pairing the device won't work with any Windows device, whether it's a Surface, Phone, or Desktop. I even got a new phone and left it at an old firmware version to test, and it wouldn't pair. Garmin broke the watch, not the other way around. Today I got an email from support that says the Vivoactive 3 does not support Windows Phone any more, so I've asked for a refund. Anyone else go down this path?

If it's been more then 30 days I think you are out of luck, although I do agree with you that this is bull**it and I'm glad to see you voting with your money. No more Garmin for me, I got Fitbit Ionic pretty happy with it works with Windows like a charm.
  • Today I got an email from support that says the Vivoactive 3 does not support Windows Phone any more, so I've asked for a refund.

Can you cite or refer to any published Garmin document (including but not limited to product technical specifications, owner's manuals, device compatibility lists, or other marketing collateral such as brochures and web pages) or statement that clearly stated the VA3 supports being used with Windows Phone or Windows 10 Mobile? Whether it worked once upon a time outside of published specifications cannot be taken to be your entitlement on a continuing basis. In the absence of a published document or statement affirming Windows Phone support for the VA3, if you only bought the device after October 2017, it'd be pretty hard to assert a valid claim that you were misled by the manufacturer.

https://www.windowscentral.com/garmin-drops-support-vivoactive-3-windows-phone
    Wednesday, Oct 25, 2017at 1:02 pm EDT …
    Garmin has confirmed that it doesn't support using its Vivoactive 3 fitness watch with Windows phones. … Curiously, a member of our forums named bellyer reported success with setting up the Vivoactive 3 with a Lumia 950 in September, but connection and notification issues have since cropped up.
    But a quick check of ">Garmin's Vivoactive 3 listing">Garmin's Vivoactive 3 listingshows that Windows phone isn't included in its official smartphone compatibility.
  • After more than a year of problems today is my last day with Garmin. I went through two VAHR and a VA3 (which I was assured would work at the beginning of October and it did for a while). I was recently informed all Garmin Connect on Windows 10 Mobile is dead. No additional bug fixes or support. If you can get it to sync then great otherwise all help is best effort. This has been painfully obvious for a while when GC went to 4.0 in November and GCM for Windows went to 3.23.1 and has not been patched or upgraded since. Now some functions don't work at all. Personally for me I get a message about unable to load the content on multiple screens.

After work today I am stopping and picking up a Fitbit Ionic, for less than the VA3. I like the idea of the VA3, but it never worked right even when syncing with Garmin Express. On top of losing the smart watch functionality it just had a number of issues. I would have my data go flat and inaccurately report when using a footpod, to which the only solution I was given is not to use the footpod. This is after months of trouble getting it to pair with some improvements over the last couple firmware updates. Most disappointing was the elliptical and stair stepper tracking (I am still wondering how I got steps on the elliptical) which really didn't track anything and basically were just extra links to the strength or cardio apps. Then my personal favorite is being told I cleared my move or hit my step goal after anywhere from 5-90 mins of sitting). Very rarely had these show up when I was actually moving. This is not to stay the step counts were that far off, just that it took a while to show the notification. I will admit rep counts got better but it was very odd the number of versions of the same exercises it had but then noticing which ones it didnt have such as weigh assisted dips or low-row exercises. I also never managed to get rid of the ! (exclamation point) next to calories or activity minutes, regardless of the number of walks inside or outside I have taken.

Now I just need to figure out who wants my foot pod, speed sensor, cadence sensor, and index scale.