This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

GCM on Windows 10 Mobile Sync issues

Lately (since the 3.23.1.0 update) I have been experiencing a number sync issues. Using the VAHR and VA3. Typically the device will stop syncing, but will still connect for notifications and show real-time data on the phone from the device. The blue sync bar cycles all the way (often twice) before going green stating the sync is fine but no data is actually transferred.

I am left with two options then. Reboot my phone (closing the app doesn't help as the app can still run in the background) or syncing with Garmin Express.

Now if I synced earlier in the say day either options is fine. However if I have not synced part of a previous day I then must use Garmin Express if I want that data. If I reboot my phone first and force a sync it will work, however it will only grab data starting at 12am today and all previous days data will NEVER sync regardless of the method. This has happened multiple times in the last couple weeks. Typically with the loss of 1-2 days worth of data.

This is more than a little frustrating though at least I have a work around. Has anyone else seen this issue?
  • It happened again. I am really frustrated by this. It is not even 12:30am and lost yesterdays data because it didn't sync all day on its own and i forced a sync a few minutes ago. This thing is completely useless if I can't save the data or sync reliably.
  • It seems to happen around the time there is a Garmin Connect (Server) update like there was yesterday (Friday) for Garmin Pay support.
  • Today after manually syncing with the mobile app multiple times I got my steps to appear in the app, but not in the website. After hitting the refresh at the bottom of the "my day" screen it lost the newly synced steps and showed the same as the website. Forcing a few more syncings eventually got the step and floor count in both places. Just one problem, all I have is the totals. I have no info on all day stress, no heart rate, not even the times I was taking the steps. It is all blank. Even more confusing is I have the red inactive bar for only 15 minutes marking I was inactive for an hour with steps on both sites but nothing for the entire time I was sleeping or the afternoon (I synced once at my desk at work earlier which is where that info came from). I am still trying to figure out why I have intensity minutes when there is no heart rate data and I didn't do much today. ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1276753.png
  • I have the same issue with my VA3. The device ist still able to get notifications and e.g. show the calendar, however sync "finishes" with the green confirmation, but no data is transferred. If I use Garmin Express, sync works flawlessly...
  • Same problem here w\ Vivosmart 3 that I just received as a gift. I'm only trying to use the GCM app on Windows desktop because my android phone has OS version 7.1.1 without the monthly updates (thanks Moto!) and so the vivo won't pair, and the Express desktop app only does USB. Lucky for Garmin that the Android 7.x pairing problem seems to affect FitBit the same, or I would have exchanged it by now.
  • I have given up on Garmin and went to Fitbit. I had to reset my phone and then couldn't get the device to finish setup on my phone. It would pair on Bluetooth but that was it would get stuck on connecting. I was using Garmin Express for a couple months but even that started acting up. It would take 10 minutes to open on my computers and when it did it would take forever to sync. Ever since I updated it to 6.x

The Fitbit Ionic I got syncs but there is absolutely no data for anything and the heart rate zones are weirdly combined to three. Strava syncing is broken and have the watch features are still in development. The Fitbit pay works had to set it up using an ipad because the windows app update is pending certification. And half the cards that are supposed to work with it give you an error when you try to add them. Over all it is a very frustrating experience and I am giving up so much just go get basic functionality. If garmin would just maintain the Windows app (not asking for new features just allow me to connect my device again, sync, and view my recorded weight again) I would jump back to garmin in a heart beat.
  • Over all it is a very frustrating experience and I am giving up so much just go get basic functionality.
    The common thread or common cause of your frustration seems to be your personal choice of mobile operating system, and not the particular wearable device manufacturer, then.
  • I have a Fenix 5 and Garmin advertises that Windows Phone is supported; it is one of the main reasons I bought the device. Garmin must provide fixes to insure platform support.
    The Windows Phone app seems left in the dust with no updates. When is the next app update scheduled for Windows Phone?
  • m_fenix5 I was told there will be no more updates. Which makes sense as the last one was November and they used to be monthly until then. Feature keep breaking in the Windows 10 app (both on the computer and mobile) and no sign they will be fixed in sight. Regardless of the announcement before 3.23.1 that said they would maintain it but not add new features which I would have been fine with. Just trying to ride it out until Windows CoreOS ends up on phones in the next year or two. I would probably go to a feature phone before going to Android or iPhone.

ASmugDill I have problems with not only the UWP App on both Windows PC and Windows Mobile but also GarminExpress for mobile making the device very difficult to sync. I also had problems with my VA3, as there are still a lot of bugs with the device that many others are complaining about in the VA3 forum. My choice of device is less popular but the most stable and secure, I work in the IT security field. Microsoft and Garmin have both promised to support it but only Microsoft is keeping their word providing monthly security and bug fixes. As for my issues with Fitbit they have absolutely nothing to do with my phone. The Fitbit app works great with the device, it is very stable and actually uses less battery than the Garmin app. The problems with Fitbit are with Fitbit itself, all of their watches have very limited functionality in regards to tracking. It is basically steps, heart rate, sleep, and floors climbed and that is all. Anything else provides you only those four sets of data. No reps, no type of work out, no cadence, etc. They technically track biking but it more about following you with GPS than it is about actual effort. The watch I chose was their highest end one and it is buggy as all hell. The Fitbit forums are full of users using all types of phones with the same issues I have. Their Strava sync has been broken for weeks and that is directly from the watch not the app. It has a music sync transfer issue, and the audio quality is horrible. The features are really over sold and under deliver. The only feature better on Fitbit than Garmin is the sleep tracking, which actually takes heart rate into account and estimates REM sleep. Trust me anyone who uses a Garmin and is serious about it if they try a Fitbit they will be in just as much pain as me, perhaps more.
  • By all means, refrain from switching to a different mobile operating system platform, for reasons that suit yourself and need not be explained or justified to anyone else. If a device you purchased is not as described in the product's published technical specifications and other marketing collateral, or not fit for the purposes for which it was marketed and sold (as opposed to approaching fitness-for-purpose primarily from the customer's perspective), then I absolutely believe it ought to be replaced or refunded upon being returned.

My point is that if any number of fitness device manufacturers and/or service providers refuse to come to the party, and create/maintain a sustainable ecosystem and operating environment that you want, then as a consumer there is very little you can do to make it happen, even if that would satisfy you far more than to get the device refunded for a lose-lose outcome. If that is the root of your frustrations, then it's up to you to yield, and not for industry to change to accommodate – especially when it is something that the latter has already tried and found not to be commercially beneficial.