GCM 3.22 released

Hi guys,

Garmin rolled out GCM 3.22 for Windows Phone today. I am still testing but started to having issues with notifications again. Will report about Bluetooth stability and battery drain in some time.

Bye
  • Not again I am quite happy now that I am not play with GCM and I have more time for other things

And anyway, I was on build 15063.447
  • If your Bluetooth connection is stable then of course you should not experiment. This is only for people still having Bluetooth connection drops all over the place.

Bye
  • Hi guys,

after some tests I can confirm that the Bluetooth stability improves greatly when the phone shows your watch as "connected" in Bluetooth menu, not only "paired". To assure that, in case I have to restart my phone or the connection really drops, I do following steps:

- go into Bluetooth menu and remove watch from paired devices
    - search for new devices, your watch should appear
    - select your device, the paring code input should appear
    - provide code that you see on the watch and confirm
    - watch is connected now (verify in Bluetooth menu)

when the device is connected and disconnects because of Bluetooth range, it should reconnect immediately when moving back into range. This is not happening when device is not shown as connected (at least in my case)

Also the Bluetooth range is quite high, my watch keeps connection up also through 2 walls inbetween.

As this seems to be OS internal thing (OS seems to "forget" the watch) I guess it can only be fixed by MS. I have already posted via Feedback Hub about it, let's see if something changes.

That way I am able to use my Fenix 5 for almost all use cases that were promised by Garmin. From GCM side I am still facing a few issues:

- battery drain => biggest issue for me
    - app crashes in the background. I get to know about this when notifications stop to arrive on the watch
    - I am not able to get a weather forecast. The widget shows the current weather, but when I navigate into the widget I always get "waiting for data"

Hope this helps you guys who also suffers with Bluetooth connection.

Bye
  • I have tried everything on this thread but can't get notifications to work. Fenix 5X was up to date until 6.00 released today, GCM is 3.2.2, Lumia 950XL is on the latest fast ring (15252.0) but I get an error in GCM when trying to set smart notifications that "Smart Notifications are not fully supported on your Windows Device".

I have had notifications work in the past but not for a month or more.
  • please check if GCM is allowed to handle notifications. For that go into the settings screen, select "Privacy", there go through all the sub menus and check, whether GCM is activated or not. Especially I would focus on the "Accessory App" and "Notifications". Also in my case I am only getting reliable notifications when GCM is allowed to "always run in background". To activate this go to Settings, then "System", then "Battery" and search for GCM and change the setting.

Hope that helps.

Bye
  • I have tried everything on this thread but can't get notifications to work. Fenix 5X was up to date until 6.00 released today, GCM is 3.2.2, Lumia 950XL is on the latest fast ring (15252.0) but I get an error in GCM when trying to set smart notifications that "Smart Notifications are not fully supported on your Windows Device".

I have had notifications work in the past but not for a month or more.

I got same issue (and I am not sure that this was on Lumia 830 - my backup mobile or on Lumia 950XL - main mobile), but I think I solved it by uninstall GCM and install it again and in process of setting it, GCM asked for access to notifications and it reappears in GCM menu (but anyway it doesn't work, but this is another story and maybe you will be more lucky than me).