Bug List (GCM 3.19, W10M Build 15228)

Hi, I would like to introduce a new thread list that should collect all bugs for a given GCM/W10M combination.

Known issues:

- Battery drain (big issue, GCM is using more than 50% of battery in background)
- Bluetooth connection is lost way too often (also if phone is lying nearby)
- Watch is not reconnecting automatically when lost Bluetooth connection.
- When a notification is received on the phone and the watch is not connected, GCM reconnects to the watch but does not push the received notification.
- Sync is not reliable, especially when an app should be installed
- it happens sometimes that GCM shows a successful sync (green bar) but the data was not transferred from the watch.
- Music controls do not work at all (always waiting for connection to the phone). If the music control widget opens and has connection, it is not possible to start music.
- impossible to download Golf course from mobile phone (always waiting for connection to the phone)
- impossible to sync more data than the first screen (=actual day) on Fenix5 (always waiting for connection to the phone)
- app crashes on startup and need to be started a few times. Sometimes only a phone reboot helps.

Please post your problems and I will update the list so Garmin has an overview of what issues we are facing.

Bye
  • Adding my observations (running GCM 3.19.0.0, W10M 15228.0 on a Lumia 640 LTE, wearing a Forerunner 235):

1) Notifications initially worked, but now no longer, despite trying unpairing / repairing and reinstalling GCM.
    2) Also observing that activities don't sync correctly even though the app reports a successful sync. Often when doing so the watch has a stuck "currently transferring data" status icon too, so the two aren't in agreement there.
    3) GCM app is still very unstable and crashes a lot on startup.
  • Adding my observations (running GCM 3.19.0.0, W10M 15228.0 on a Lumia 640 LTE, wearing a Forerunner 235):

1) Notifications initially worked, but now no longer, despite trying unpairing / repairing and reinstalling GCM.
    2) Also observing that activities don't sync correctly even though the app reports a successful sync. Often when doing so the watch has a stuck "currently transferring data" status icon too, so the two aren't in agreement there.
    3) GCM app is still very unstable and crashes a lot on startup.

1. for me notifications are working fine. Have you made sure that GCM is set up to be always allowed to run in background?
    2. this issue is already there in my list
    3. with the update the crashes have decreased on my end, but yes, sometimes it still happens. Will add it to the list.

Thanks!

Bye
  • I can confirm that after upgrading to yesterday's latest Fast Ring release 10.0.15230.0, I have successfully synchronised 2 activities saved to my fenix 5 (Treadmill and Weights). This is the first time I have been able to sync 2 outstanding activities. I did not reinstall GCM, re-pair the fenix 5 or perform a hard reset of my Lumia 950 beforehand, it was a straight upgrade.

Notifications are still a bit hit and miss and Media control still does not appear to work. However, as just mentioned, I've not hard reset yet to fully test.
  • I've done a hard reset, no changes, it works exactly as before the hard reset.

I'm experiencing almost all the bugs listed above:
    -The notifications are sometimes working, sometimes not. I had to set GCM as "Always connected in background" in the battery settings, otherwise they won't work. Sometimes they stop coming, and the only way to get them back seems to be to restart my smartphone. Many times my Vivoactive receives the notifications, but does not "notify" them, in the sense that I have no vibration, or no pop-ups.
    -Music control sometimes works and sometimes does not, but it never really worked for me even before the Creators Update, so...
    -The battery drain is huge. My 640xl does like 2-3 days without Bluetooth, but <1 day with Bluetooth. So disappointing. I have to switch off the Bluetooth at dinner time in order to get a few more hours.

Looking forward to switching to Android.

PS: I haven't tried the very last fast ring update yet, I think i will install it just now and see what happens
  • Looking forward to switching to Android.

My next phone will be Android as well, probably soon, and I never thought I would take on that insecure OS. But Windows 10 Mobile is as good as dead.

The trouble is, there seems to be almost as many problems with GCM on Android as there are on W10M. Take a look in that forum. Different problems, but just as bad.

• In GCM go to Snapshots, tap on Steps. Shows details of current date, OK. Tap back arrow on top-left. Goes to 29th December 2017 every time. Just me?
  • Goes to 29th December 2017 every time. Just me?

I'm not seeing that in either Garmin Connect Mobile 3.19 or 3.20 running on my Lumia 532 (OS build 10.0.15063.414).

• I finally came back to Anniversary Update. Now everything seems to work fine, and the bluetooth battery usage is normal. This also proves that it was not GCM fault: Creators Update is the one to blame, once again, for the massive Bluetooth battery drain. Cheers!
  • I finally came back to Anniversary Update. Now everything seems to work fine, and the bluetooth battery usage is normal. This also proves that it was not GCM fault: Creators Update is the one to blame, once again, for the massive Bluetooth battery drain. Cheers!

I still would not blame this completely on Microsoft. It was clear that Microsoft is changing their Bluetooth stack in Windows 10 Creators Update and they started to integrate this into insider builds beginning of 2017. So Garmin had enough time to make sure that they adjust their implementation of GCM to work with the new Bluetooth communication layer, but they obviously didn't do anything. I think the reason why Microsoft had to adjust the Bluetooth implementation for GCM to make it somehow work is, because Garmin need legacy implementation. As long as Garmin will not integrate GATT server in GCM for Windows 10 Mobile the devices will never work like in Android or iOS.

Bye