GCM on Windows Mobile (workaround for adjusting app settings)

Symptoms (Bad News):
- My Fenix 5X will start to sync when I open GCM on my phone (the % sync complete status starts up), however it never ever sucessfully completes. Sometime around the 80%, the GCM sync turns Red with a sync failed message.
- And, if that weren't bad enough, I can never adjust my Fenix 5X app settings using GCM - GCM fails to even show a list of teh installed apps on my watch
- It has been like this for me all year, no amount of Windows updates, Garmin App updates or Fenix updates have fixed anything.
- I have reported these issues several times properly and officially each to both Garmin and to Microsoft with faults logs.

Work-around (Good News!):
I worked this out by accident.
- Start GCM,
- Wait for GCM to start syncing - the point when the progress bar has appeared, but has not yet turned Red with the error
- Menu | Garmin Devices | Connect IQ Apps - the running man will appear, and after a minute...
- The list of apps and watchfaces appears! And it works, you can adjust watchface settings etc.
- The sync bar seems to get stuck now at about 70%, and it doesn't continue to increase until it errors.

This workaround method is upper stable - works everytime, all the time for me.

Happy mobile app setting adjusting using GCM on Windows Mobile!

Gear List:
Fenix 5X with v3.30 firmware.
Lumia 950 w/ Windows Mobile Build 15215
Garmin Connect Mobile for Windows v3.18.1.0
  • Great Help

Symptoms (Bad News):
    - My Fenix 5X will start to sync when I open GCM on my phone (the % sync complete status starts up), however it never ever sucessfully completes. Sometime around the 80%, the GCM sync turns Red with a sync failed message.
    - And, if that weren't bad enough, I can never adjust my Fenix 5X app settings using GCM - GCM fails to even show a list of teh installed apps on my watch
    - It has been like this for me all year, no amount of Windows updates, Garmin App updates or Fenix updates have fixed anything.
    - I have reported these issues several times properly and officially each to both Garmin and to Microsoft with faults logs.

Work-around (Good News!):
    I worked this out by accident.
    - Start GCM,
    - Wait for GCM to start syncing - the point when the progress bar has appeared, but has not yet turned Red with the error
    - Menu | Garmin Devices | Connect IQ Apps - the running man will appear, and after a minute...
    - The list of apps and watchfaces appears! And it works, you can adjust watchface settings etc.
    - The sync bar seems to get stuck now at about 70%, and it doesn't continue to increase until it errors.

This workaround method is upper stable - works everytime, all the time for me.

Happy mobile app setting adjusting using GCM on Windows Mobile!

Gear List:
    Fenix 5X with v3.30 firmware.
    Lumia 950 w/ Windows Mobile Build 15215
    Garmin Connect Mobile for Windows v3.18.1.0

Excellent tip. Works well. I have never been able to get this working. I too have trouble syncing at times. It's just stops syncing completely . The only way I can get it to work after that is to sync on Garmin Express.
  • This Works on F5X - Thanks!

As you pointed out, this provides access to Connect IQ and app, watchface adjustments, but the update progress stops at 55-60% or so.
    Closing out the GCM app and relaunching, I get a successful sync (green and activities are updated.

Live tile shows correct sleep, active calorie count, steps but does not show todays run or intensity minutes (shows previous run from 2 days ago).

If unable to sync, shutting down the app and restarting seems to work.

Cheers

Using GCM 3.18.01
    Fenix 5X 3.41