Creators Update

Got the Creator's update and decided to try going back to my Lumia 950 for syncing with the Vivoactive HR. I'm getting reliable syncing now for about 24hrs, which is an improvement to what I was seeing on intermediate insider builds.
The bad news, still no music controls, no push notifications. Occasionally, I'll get weather, calendar events, and a notifications page with historical notifications (or "No Notifications"), but that seems to only show after a recent sync.
  • Connect Mobile for Windows 10 Mobile Creators Update

Updated to the Creators Update yesterday and the Bluetooth radio is managed differently now.
    I do not have the option to tap on a device in the Settings to connect to that device. Instead, connections are managed by the app.

It appears that Connect Mobile connects to the Vivosmart HR+ long enough to sync data and if I change a setting, I can force synchronization.
    Not sure I like this, but it is what it is.

What I do not like is that I cannot connect my Forerunner 235. The app goes through the initial setup screens but when it begins to connect to the FR235 the little running man just keeps running.

I've removed the FR235 and reconnected it several times with no success. I am not going to uninstall Connect Mobile for fear that I will not be able to reconnect the Vivosmart HR+.

In reading up on the Creators Update, it sounds like Garmin needs to update the Connect Mobile app to allow for constant BT connections. Could be wrong but has anyone heard of any solutions in the works?
  • Updated to the Creators Update yesterday and the Bluetooth radio is managed differently now.
    I do not have the option to tap on a device in the Settings to connect to that device. Instead, connections are managed by the app.

It appears that Connect Mobile connects to the Vivosmart HR+ long enough to sync data and if I change a setting, I can force synchronization.
    Not sure I like this, but it is what it is.

What I do not like is that I cannot connect my Forerunner 235. The app goes through the initial setup screens but when it begins to connect to the FR235 the little running man just keeps running.

I've removed the FR235 and reconnected it several times with no success. I am not going to uninstall Connect Mobile for fear that I will not be able to reconnect the Vivosmart HR+.

In reading up on the Creators Update, it sounds like Garmin needs to update the Connect Mobile app to allow for constant BT connections. Could be wrong but has anyone heard of any solutions in the works?

So yeah, you're right! Garmin's software must be rewritten with the latest version of SDK to work with the CU https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2017/01/13/new-bluetooth-features-in-creators-update-gatt-server-bluetooth-le/#Obt25ZBFVLxzwBQX.97. But it does not seem to happen. We can only wait ...
  • Well... one can only hope that Garmin can update the Windows 10 Mobile app soon and we can enjoy reliable push notifications.

I wonder if Garmin could chime in on things?
  • Well... one can only hope that Garmin can update the Windows 10 Mobile app soon and we can enjoy reliable push notifications.

I wonder if Garmin could chime in on things?

Since I am on this forum I have never seen anybody from Garmin posting anything, especially not about the Windows Mobile app :)
  • Hi !

Every bloody single time a new version of WM is out, Garmin Connect stops working.

I can't sync my FR 230 anymore and have to sync it on a computer.

I am done with Windows Phone. My next phone will be Android, even if I hate saying it. I really like WM interface and design but the lack of major apps (I just can't believe that Ebay app, Paypal app and others are just not supported anymore....also, no Strava, no Nike Plus.....) and problems with BT handling has got on my nerves. That's enough.

Every time I go somewhere without a computer, I can't load activities on GC.

Cheers.
    Jay
  • Hi !

Every bloody single time a new version of WM is out, Garmin Connect stops working.

I can't sync my FR 230 anymore and have to sync it on a computer.

I am done with Windows Phone. My next phone will be Android, even if I hate saying it. I really like WM interface and design but the lack of major apps (I just can't believe that Ebay app, Paypal app and others are just not supported anymore....also, no Strava, no Nike Plus.....) and problems with BT handling has got on my nerves. That's enough.

Every time I go somewhere without a computer, I can't load activities on GC.

Cheers.
    Jay

I can completely understand your frustration but if you stayed that long with Windows Mobile you should at least give it a try until the update with GATT Server implementation is out. If after that it is still not working as expected you can switch the operating system. I am pretty sure that Garmin will release an updated version of their windows app. Maybe this takes a few weeks more, but at the end we will see, if the new APIs in the Creators Update will solve the issues users are facing with wearables for years now. Switching at this point of time would be a waste of your patience you showed all the time until now :)
  • The problem with Customer Service is that unless the developers issue a script to read off of, they have no clue what's going on. Every now and then you get lucky and find one with common sense, but I take what CSR's have to say with a grain of salt. It's a shame that Garmin cannot match their device quality with decent customer service.

As far as giving up on Windows Phones, I'm in it for the long haul. Been using some iteration of a Windows Phone for over 9 years now and will stick around until Microsoft kills it off. Garmin isn't the speediest in cranking out updates so it may take some time. Hopefully just a few weeks and not months.

Oh and Microsoft is not rolling back the Creators Update. Just released an update to it through the Insiders Program to add more features that should be available for everyone soon.
  • Hi

Oh I won't be switching right now as my 550 is only a year old. But my next phone will be Android anyway.

For example, I can't use SquadRunner with my friends. Can't use Strava either. Lots of apps that are installed on my phone are not available anymore (ebay, paypal....). The photo share function also does not work in GCM on Windows Phones because of a language problem (I have to set the phone to English). Have to use Skype when everyone uses Hangouts......etc etc etc

Too much to support. Enough.

Cheers
    Jay
  • Same Boat - Migrating from Band 2

Garmin has a good track record of updating their premium devices.

Garmin should address this to add one more reason for other Band owners to consider migrating to Garmin instead of Fitbit, Samsung, or even Huawei.

Cheers from Taipei
  • I think it is very easy to become frustrated with Microsoft, as anyone who suffered through their Band 2 fiasco can attest. However, in this case I would squarely lay the blame on Garmin.

My wife and I both have Lumia 950 phones with the "Creators Update" installed through normal upgrade channels (not developer ring), and they both work flawlessly. We like the improvements to features such as "Windows Hello," and we find the overall feel of the software polished.

According to published developer notes, Garmin was aware of the "Creators Update" changes to Bluetooth at least as far back as January 2017, and for them to not have an updated version of GCM ready to roll out is not satisfactory, let alone provide updates to their CSR's scripts to allow them to at least look professional, or put something on their support site detailing the unresolved issue.

The latest from them is they are "aware" of the issues, and are "working" on a resolution, but I cannot help but think the ultimate resolution will just be to discontinue support for GCM for Windows. Honestly, how hard can this be to program?

Given the various other "quirks" of the Garmin bands (for example, the exceedingly high calorie count issues), I wonder if anyone is really paying attention, or cares enough to make some changes?

Couldn't agree more with you. It's not Microsoft fault at all. Other OEM's/ISV's have worked directly with Microsoft. Garmin has all the channels to talk to MS Engineering if needed, but I guess that they are not willing.

And this is not an exclusive Mobile issue. I used to use the UWP App with my Surface, to sync and check my latest KPI's, but even in Windows 10 PC OS, the app is not synchronizing.

Shame on Garmin... honestly... one of the worst customer care that I've seen in years! No feedback whatsoever!