Windows Insider Fast Ring .... a glimmer of hope!

If youre not on the Fast Ring / RS2 then this isn't for you...

So, as we all know there are some BIG issues with Bluetooth comms on the Fast Ring / RS2 builds effecting wearables - Garmin, Vector, MS Bans etc.

Been on the most recent build 14977 and same issues with BT disconnecting etc...

But, somehow a build 14998.1000 slipped out (by accident maybe) to my 950XL and I can confirm that the BT is stable, reconnects when I have been away from the phone and even without GC being open....

Good news indeed and hope the next few builds get even more stable!

And hope 15002 doesn't break it :(

• Notification sometimes work, sometime coming later (I received one from a week ago...), sometimes not at all.
    GCM uses more than 50% of battery.
    Weather updates fine, music control never worked.

When I compare this behaviour to iOS, where everything works perfectly, there is still much to do.

• Notifications finally started working. Sometimes. EMail is almost constant though. How do you turn off your email? I have two accounts on my phone and the work one is pounding me. Never thought I would ASK to turn off notifications since I've been wanting them for so long! I have a 950XL and a Fenix 3 HR
  • Notifications, once your Garmin device is given permission to receive them, is controlled by the W10M phone.

Search on the W10M phone in Settings for "Notifications & actions", then find your email client (Outlook Mail), tap it and change the settings. I believe that you can only turn the email notification on or off globally, and not by email account. At least I haven't seen a way to do that.

You may be able to turn off notifications to your Garmin device by turning off Banners, for example, if that is what the Garmin uses. Experiment.

There could be more settings in GCM-W10M, but I can't get that thing to run reliably so I can't check now.
  • Thanks Roderick. I wound up adding the Outlook App on the GCM-W10M app and then turning it off in smart notifications. That seems to have done it. Odd that I didn't have to add the app and turn it ON to make it work though.
  • Latest Win10 fast ring no longer errors out trying to sync with the fenix3 HR. It actually says it finished successfully. It lies. No data transfer occurs.
    According to the dev I talked to, Garmin is debugging GCM trying to fix it.
    I occasionally get notifications, but rarely correct. Lots of connect/disconnect popups.
    So I'm waiting for a new version of GCM from Garmin.
    There still may be further bugs on the Win10M side, but at least the BT handshaking is working.
  • A new fast ring build today - 15230. One of the reported fixes is -
    • We fixed a notification issue between the Bluetooth Support Service and device background services for fitness bands.
    Too soon yet to see if it helps. A new release of GCM may be required too. Still, things are getting better - but some way to go yet.
  • A new fast ring build today - 15230. One of the reported fixes is -
    • We fixed a notification issue between the Bluetooth Support Service and device background services for fitness bands.
    Too soon yet to see if it helps. A new release of GCM may be required too. Still, things are getting better - but some way to go yet.

Installed it yesterday itself, cannot tell if anything got better :)

Bye
  • I can confirm that after upgrading to yesterday's latest Fast Ring release 10.0.15230.0, I have successfully synchronised 2 activities saved to my fenix 5 (Treadmill and Weights). This is the first time I have been able to sync 2 outstanding activities. I did not reinstall GCM, re-pair the fenix 5 or perform a hard reset of my Lumia 950 beforehand, it was a straight upgrade.

Notifications are still a bit hit and miss and Media control still does not appear to work. However, as just mentioned, I've not hard reset yet to fully test.