Rotate Video

I went for a flight with my Virb Elite yesterday, and forgot to enable the correct "This side up" option. Of course, all my videos are upside down. I can't seem to figure out how to rotate them within Virb Edit. I can export to Movie Maker and do it there, but obviously I would prefer to do it directly in Virb Edit as the export process makes overlay management that much more difficult.

Does this functionality exist and I just can't find it, or is it not available? If it's not available, I'd like to see it as a feature request.
  • Upon investigating further, I can see how this may be challenging - The accelerometer data in my track log is of course all backwards too. Still, I'd like to see a "post production" orientation toggle available in a future release.

Thanks,
  • This is on our road-map, but won't be in 2.4 yet.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 10 years ago
    If your accelerationdata is in a .gpx than you can edit so that it's right side up again.

First make a backup copy of your GPX file so you can't destroy your data.

In your .gpx you will fine lines like this:
    <time>2013-09-29T12:50:18Z</time>
    <extensions>
    <gpxacc:AccelerationExtension>
    <gpxacc:accel offset="49" x="0.1" y="0.1" z="-1.0"/>
    <gpxacc:accel offset="149" x="0.1" y="0.1" z="-1.0"/>
    <gpxacc:accel offset="249" x="0.1" y="0.1" z="-1.0"/>
    </gpxacc:AccelerationExtension>
    </extensions>

As I don't have an accelerometer, I can't check what is x, y or z direction.
    As the front-back (accellerate/brake) stays the same, that data is correct.
    The left/right and the up/down need to be modified.
    IF z is front to back BUT I MAY BE WRONG, we leave those values as they are.
    Now you can change all the x="0 into x="+0. (use the + sign or something else to keep them apart from the x="-0.
    Also do this insertion of the "+" sign for the x="1 the x="2 the y="0 the y="1 and the y="2.
    Now remove the "-" replace the x="- with x=" (without the -).
    Also do this for the y="- .
    Now we can change all the "+" values into "-" values.
    Replace x="+ with x="- and y="+ with y"- .
    You can use the "find and replace" from notepad to do this but if there is other x, y or z data you might have to do it by hand.
  • A coworker and I looked into this yesterday - he wrote a script that can modify the GPX values for the accelerometer. We're struggling to pin down exactly which axis is which, however. Perhaps someone from Garmin can chime in with a definition so we can take care of this ourselves until the feature is released for Virb Edit
  • /// +x is right
    /// +y is forward
    /// +z is up