Stabilization not working

SUPPORT CENTER CHAT
Alex has entered the session.
Shawn:Stabilization option do not work in Virb Edit
Alex:Thank you for contacting Garmin Automotive Chat Support. I'll be glad to assist you.

Shawn:I have the latest version of Virb Edit for Windows 10. I am creating a new video option in Virb Edit. I dragged my video to the bottom area and then made sure the GMetrix data matches. I then click on Stabilization and it doesn't change the video.
Alex:Stabilization will only remove vibrations that VIRB Edit detects from the video. With some videos it may not be able to remove all vibrations and you may see no change.

Shawn:If I compare the video preview with the raw video there is no change. I have used Virb Edit for a few years and it seems with this latest update it broke the stabilization options.
Shawn:is there a way to download the last version of the software?
Shawn:previous version?
Alex:No, there is no way to download a previous version of VIRB Edit. When a new version is released, the previous versions are removed from our website and servers.

Shawn:how can I get support to get stabilization working again?
Alex:Have you tried this with multiple videos. Right now we have no other reports of the stabilization feature not working nor do we have a way of testing your video to see if it should stabilize. The stabilization may not work on all video files.

Shawn:While I have you can you tell me how Stabilization works. Do I just click on the option I want then preview the video? Does it automatically apply the selected stabilization to the preview?
Alex:When you click the stabilization option it will automatically stabilize anything it can detect and apply it to the video preview.

Shawn:ok the video I'm testing is 17GB 29min long. I have tried using different options for encoding/decoding.. would that have anything to do with stabilization not working?
Alex:No, that shouldn't play a role in the video's ability to stabilize.

Shawn:my 2nd bug is when I trim my 29min video down to 5 min and select Stabilization all options are grayed out.
Alex:If all options are grayed out, the video cannot be stabilized due to the settings. Trimming a video will often cause this. This is how VIRB Edit is designed. If the stabilization feature grays out, it is not available for the video you are editing.

Shawn:what settings make a video not able to be stabilized?
Alex:There are a variety of settings that can be chosen from the camera. We do not have a list of specific settings that will cause the feature to not be available. If it is grayed out, it is not available.

Shawn:the options are available before I choose the trim option.
Shawn:only after I trim the video are the options grayed out.
Alex:Then trimming the video is what caused it to not be available. Trimming a video can cause the video to no longer be able to be stabilized.

Alex:This is normal behavior for VIRB Edit

Shawn:I consider those major bugs.. does Garmin not consider them bugs?
Alex:This is how VIRB Edit is designed. It is not considered a bug.

Shawn:wow this software is a joke. And I'm amazed you do not support it.
Shawn:not even acknowledging you have bugs in your software is a joke.
Alex:VIRB Edit is a free video editing software which provides basic video editing capabilities for our cameras. If you are trying to do more professional, detailed video editing a third party software is recommended.

Shawn:you are saying essentially that if you use any of the editing features of VIRB edit your video cannot be stabilized.. wow.
Alex:The issues you are experiencing are not bugs, but how VIRB Edit is designed. At this time there is no way to change how the software functions. I will take note of your feedback and in the future changes may be implemented.

Shawn:I'm not trying to do anything fancy.. I'm simply using your features you included in your software like trimming a video.
Shawn:if those features make the software brake I suggest removing them as features from your software.
Alex:Unfortunately the software is operating as designed and we do not have any way of addressing your concerns immediately. I can take note of your feedback and we may make changes in the future. Did you have any other questions about anything else I can help you with right now?

Shawn:no more questions. please do send my feedback to your team. they have a lot of work to do to get it stable.
Alex:Thanks for choosing Garmin. Have a great day!

-Alex

Has anyone else experienced issues with stabilization no longer working? What I plan to do is get the gmetrix gauges to display on my video and do an export.. bring it into another software tool and do stabilization. Is that how most of you do it? Thanks!
  • I just noticed my recently uploaded video has all the Stabilization options grayed out. I have only imported the clip and chose 'create video'. The only difference that I'm aware of is that I mounted it on bicycle handlebars instead of on top of my helmet. Can this cause it to disable all of the features on the Stabilization page? It is also having a horizon issue. Initially the horizon is level but sometimes it goes all wonky, possible from when I change it the 'viewing experience' to HyperFrame to 360 and back. Hard to repeat the issue.ciq.forums.garmin.com/.../1465904.jpg
  • I have encountered a similar thing just now.   I have several video clips recently taken with a Virb 360, but none of the stabilization options are available.   The only thing I have done is to import the clips.  No trimming or editing of any type.   They have all the pertinent g-metrix data in it.  The videos were recorded with exactly the same settings as I have in the past and with the same exact camera.  However, for some reason I cannot apply stabilization on this batch.  

I have re-imported the video files, deleted and reinstalled Virb Edit.   I'm totally stumped.  

Any advice or suggestions?  

• Normally my videos have been importing fine but I noticed the other day that a few clips were not able to be stabilized at all. I remember turning on the camera and immediately starting recording. Only the last clip of the 4 clips I had that day was able to be stabilized. Perhaps I needed to wait until the camera got all synced up with gps and everything. Normally I have the camera on at least a minute or two before starting. My presumption is that the software uses the camera's accelerometer data to do the stabilization.

• Same issue here. I am new user of Garmin Virb 360. Did like 30 clips on a tour. Same powered mount for two days. Some of the videos from second day do not have the stabilization working.

• This is new. I've never had this issue before. I did upgrade to Windows 10 and updated the firmware on the camera since I last tried to create a video.

• Figured it out last night.  When you open a large video or a video taken on a day that has a large .fit file (for some reason it's one fit per day no matter how many videos you take), you have to let the entire fit file load for each transaction with the software.  This seems to have happened with Windows 10, because it didn't work this way under Windows 7.
    It went like this for me last night to get it to work with a 126MB fit file to pair down a 1 hour video to 4 minutes:
    Open the video to edit, wait 30 minutes, click create video, wait 30 minutes. At this point - the ability to select stabilization was available. Selected, then trimmed the left side of the video, waited 30 minutes, trimmed the right side, waited 30 minutes.  Was successfully able to upload the stabilized video at that point.

• I have edited a 360 video using Hyperframe and stabilization.  If I export it at 1x speed, everything is good.  If I export it at 2x speed, I lose the stabilization. It plays fine at 2x in Virb Edit.  

• I really like this kind of "customer support" that Alex provides. Not, not a bug. Its a hidden feature. Yes. The camera itself is ~30% of the price it used to be sold. Rest is the development, support, free software etc. However, Garmin love to overprice their stuff. Vector3 pedal is far not provide that data what is advertised as far as the price for value concerned. Virb360 was advertised to share online video with Facebook. When I purchased, it did not work. Then started to work, but only for personal facebook and not for facebook pages. 

As we know this camera is no longer sold. I think Garmin no longer sell camera. So no more support I guess..

• I really like this kind of "customer support" that Alex provides. Not, not a bug. Its a hidden feature. Yes. The camery itself is ~30% of the price it is sold. Rest is the development, support, free software etc. However, Garmin love to overprice their stuff. Vector3 is far not provide that data what is advertised. Virb360 was advertised to share online video with Facebook. When I purchased, it did not work. The started to work, but only for personal facebook and not for facebook pages. 

Yesterday I loaded the video and I had the stabilisation feature. Then by today it disappeared. I reimported 1 video from 3. Maybe need to import all and add to clip?

As we know this camera is no longer sold. I think Garmin no longer sell camera. So no more support I guess..

• POSSIBLE SOLUTION: If you have a larger and smaller clip for the same day you will have 1 FIT file per day. If you take the small clip it may happen the FIT and the picture is not in sync. So do the following on the imported (not yet edited) clip.

STEP1: Go to G-Metrix then click DATA

STEP2: Import G-Metrix  --> chose the right file

STEP3: Chose the G-Metrix Sync big button at left of the camera picture (Relative Elevation, Activity start time, G-Metrix sync   these are the 3 options to sync the G-metrix to the video)

STEP4: move the video to a good locatable point like a specific street or start of something.

STEP5: find the same point on the map and move the "red dot" to the same place.

STEP6: click DONE

STEP7: click stabilization --> it should work. 

UPDATE: this will help to switch on the menu and it will no longer grayed out. But it does not have any effect on the video. Neither of the options are working. Terrible software...