Issue with audio in multicam editing

It's been a while between videos, but I've just noticed an issue with the audio output when in Multicam editing. Here's my setup:
Virb 1 - Standard internal microphone
Virb 2 - External microphone, using headphone audio from a light aircraft via the Garmin cable

When I export a video with Virb 1 selected as the audio source, I get Virb 1 audio until the avionics were turned on and the external mic of Virb 2 becomes active. From then on it's outputting the audio from Virb 2. I have only one clip in the timeline and double checked the audio output. It's not just the output as the issue shows up when playing the video in the editor. I can select Virb 1, Virb 2, Angle A or angle B and all 4 use the audio from Virb 2 once active. If I edit just Virb 1 (ie no multicam), then it correctly exports audio from #1 only.

Anyone else noticed this or found a fix? I'm using Virb Edit 5.4.2 on a Windows 10 PC.

Thanks,
Brett
  • Yes, I have this exact issue. Finally, but unfortunately, someone else does too. I opened a ticket with Garmin support and all they requested was an example exported video of the problem. They then just stated they could not reproduce the issue and closed my ticket without resolution. If I were you I would open a ticket as well and see if you can get anywhere.

I also use 2 virbs (front cam ultra 30, rear cam virb elite) on my bike. I had always recorded with the microphone on the virb elite turned off on the camera and just relied on the internal mic on the ultra 30. In my videos, I would have perfect audio, then it would move to the next clip in the timeline and there would be no audio. What I found out is that when adding clips to the timeline, virb edit is wrongly overlaying the audio from camera B on both camera A and B audio clips. So even if you change the audio source, it's still messed up like you stated. This seems to happen randomly when adding clips to the timeline. I then verified that this is exactly what is happening by turning the mic on my rear camera on. When I did this, I got audio for the whole video. Just half the video the audio was terrible as the better quality of the ultra 30 mic is very noticable.

I don't know why Garmin wasn't able to reproduce. I don't even feel like they tried. And why would examining an exported video make any sense? I've had this issue with all 5.0+ versions. I don't remember having this issue in 4.0 versions, but at that time I was running 2 virb elites.
  • I have the exact same problem. My setup is:

Virb 1 - Virb Ultra 30 with ext mic for light aircraft intercom
    Virb 2 - Virb XE with internal mix turned on

Same issue as yours: When editing the videos of each camera individually all is fine. Virb1 has intercom audio recorded and Virb2 has, well, engine noise. The issue starts in multicam mode, where no matter what audio source or what angle I select, the audio is always that of Virb 2.

Can't believe it's been 2 years and still no solve for this. Also seems that Virb edit hasn't been updated since December 2018. Not cool. I wanted to like the Virb Platform and G-Metrics + Virb Edit seemed a nice differentiator but now I get the impression that Garmin has neglected that line of business.

• Make that 4 years.  Still not working sometimes!