Can't stitch 5K RAW content longer than 30 minutes

I'm slowly narrowing in on a virbstitch failure on long videos that I've been experiencing. I was testing out the flow, so made a long video (2+ hours), and that failed to stitch. So, I copied the contents of the Garmin 360 SD card to a disk (as shown on one of the sticky posts) and tried importing from there, and that failed the same way. I had been able to stitch a few smaller videos of about 5 minutes in length, so knew that at least something did work sometimes with my system. So, I made a copy of the data on disk and started removing the video files. The files are split up into segments of 30 minutes long (about 11GB each). This continued to fail unit I got down to just the pair of mp4s for the first 30 minutes ie the video to be stitched no longer spanned multiple .mp4 files.

After that, I made a recording of length 26 minutes, which I was able to stitch. This was all in a single pair of mp4s.
Then, I made a recording of 36 minutes in length. This one spans multiple files, for a total of 4 .mp4s, and this failed to stitch.

At this point, I think that virb stitch has an issue with video that spans across multiple files.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

I submitted an email to the support center over the weekend, so don't have a response yet.

Thanks,
Kirk
  • Hi Kirk

I'm having the same problem, albeit with 5.7k RAW footage. Did you find a solution?

Stu
  • I have the same issue.. the stitching process does not use GPU, so it takes hours and hours to stitch, to arrive at the end with an error :(
    I could not find a solution, just reduce the quality from MAX to HIGH, otherwise in MAX never works.
  • I have just had a support chat session with Anthony from Garmin. Apparently this is a known live issue. I wish I'd known this, as it would have saved me hours trying different import settings and workarounds; none of which have worked. They want me to send my entire Garmin folder with the affected files; 72 minutes of 5.7k video is 80GB! Not even sure this will be possible. Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to have to return my camera to Amazon, which is a great shame as I had such high hopes for it.

Stu
  • Hello everyone, I've managed to reproduce this problem locally and expect to have a fix prior to our next release.

FlyboyStu If the stitching problem is your only sticking point, I'd hold off returning it until you see if my fix makes this issue better. Sorry for the trouble this has caused you

" the stitching process does not use GPU"
    Yes, sadly there are no graphics cards that support encoding 5.7k videos, so software was our only option :(
  • Hello everyone, I've managed to reproduce this problem locally and expect to have a fix prior to our next release.

FlyboyStu If the stitching problem is your only sticking point, I'd hold off returning it until you see if my fix makes this issue better. Sorry for the trouble this has caused you

That's great news; thanks Purdington. I love the camera; my only issue is with Virb Edit's inability to stitch decent length 5.7k video. I've paid for a 1-month subscription to Mistika and have managed to stitch them fine; but it's expensive and not amateur-friendly.

Stu

" the stitching process does not use GPU"
    Yes, sadly there are no graphics cards that support encoding 5.7k videos, so software was our only option :(

Fantastic news. When can we expect the next release?
  • Or can we get a beta release to test this fix? I currently have a load of videos piling up waiting to be stitched...
  • Or can we get a beta release to test this fix? I currently have a load of videos piling up waiting to be stitched...

Same here, have about 2 tb of 80 gb unstitched files sitting on my drives doing nothing but wasting space atm. =\
  • Fantastic news. When can we expect the next release?

Hi Roaders,

I can't give a specific date, but it won't be that much longer.
  • Windows VIRB Edit 5.4.2 is Live, it contains a fix for the 5k/5.7k 30 min+ stitch failure, please go check it out here:
    https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=6591