Optimization - Request

Please give users options with regards to the optimization of clips during import.

I do not need the wasted C: drive space, nor the extra time it takes to import the clips.

I would like the option to be able to choose not to optimize the clips during import, and I'm sure others would like to be able to specify the file location where they are saved.
  • Thanks for your feedback. The following workaround should help: Click elsewhere in the import window after optimization is initiated, the "Cancel" prompt should change to "Optimize Later".
  • Thanks for your feedback. The following workaround should help: Click elsewhere in the import window after optimization is initiated, the "Cancel" prompt should change to "Optimize Later".

That is practicable with one or two clips. With more, you will stop the import, because import and optimization will run parallel.
    And it takes the possibility to remove the imported clips afterwards.

It is the most annoying and needles feature, ever. I don´t understand, why there is no option to deactivate it. For 4k videos, allright! But on modern PC´s, changing 1080p to 720 is waste of time, space and processing power. And I still use FullHD preview.

The current Edit version (5.1) solves it by crashing during the import :rolleyes:
  • That is practicable with one or two clips. With more, you will stop the import, because import and optimization will run parallel.
    And it takes the possibility to remove the imported clips afterwards.

It is the most annoying and needles feature, ever. I don´t understand, why there is no option to deactivate it. For 4k videos, allright! But on modern PC´s, changing 1080p to 720 is waste of time, space and processing power. And I still use FullHD preview.

The current Edit version (5.1) solves it by crashing during the import :rolleyes:

You are correct, thanks for sharing your feedback. We'll take your suggestion in to consideration. I'm sorry that you're experiencing crashes on import. I would appreciate it if you could provide details to help us reproduce the import crash. Information such as your machine specs, OS, video card, camera SW version, number and types of clips (including resolution/fps), etc. would be great. Your time is appreciated.
  • You are correct, thanks for sharing your feedback. We'll take your suggestion in to consideration. I'm sorry that you're experiencing crashes on import. I would appreciate it if you could provide details to help us reproduce the import crash. Information such as your machine specs, OS, video card, camera SW version, number and types of clips (including resolution/fps), etc. would be great. Your time is appreciated.

I did and Purdington is on it :)

Thank you very much for considering that option. Much appreciated!!!

This isn't a very helpful work around as it take a long time for this to show up on a large import. It also looks like two new versions have come out with no option to turn of the Optimization...
  • Optimization should be a option question before starting the import, not after the import has been completed and moving on to the next file to be imported.
  • I totally agree, users should have the option to select optimization, or not, before import.

But, actually, it's a somewhat useful feature. Because the few clips recorded in 1080P which cause Virb Edit to crash during playback don't crash when played back in 720p mode.

For me, the problem isn't crashing during import, but rather some videos crash during playback at full resolution, which is either 1080p, or 2.7K. I e-mailed the requested info to the Garmin support team, but no acknowledgement. I understand they probably receive a lot of e-mails, but at least a confirmation, thanks for your submission, we're working on the issue, would be much appreciated.
  • I e-mailed the requested info to the Garmin support team, but no acknowledgement. I understand they probably receive a lot of e-mails, but at least a confirmation, thanks for your submission, we're working on the issue, would be much appreciated.

Heck, they could just set up a 'out of office' reply to acknowledge receipt if nothing else.
  • Great, 5 years later and not only is this not resolved. Also this workaround doesnt work. Just another way that video editing is an absolute ballache.