Is it possible to create a custom "Average Speed" gauge?

Hey all,

First off, new user here but mostly figured out the software. I have got to say, the software is SO GOOD and is has almost everything I've ever wanted now that my GoPro is here. I've created my own custom overlays with colors/positions, but there is one gauge I can't find and do not know how to create. I'm not sure if this is even possible because I'd imagine it would be included under "speed" already if it was. I know my Garmin Edge 520 tracks average speed and tells me what I'm at during the ride. Is it not able to share this same data to Virb Edit? Is there some sort of "live" algorithm happening on the 520 that functions differently than Virb Edit reading our .gpx files?

It would be so cool to replace "pace" with average speed. It's a great analytical measurement seeing "ok I averaged 13mph getting to the top of the climb, but it quickly rose to 16mph on that descent. Next time push for 14mph on the climb and my overall avg will be 17mph." Alright sorry for the long and convoluted post lol. I'm hopeful there is a tutorial somewhere for this :)

P.S. Thank you Garmin for making this software free and compatible with any video files. I'll be sharing it with all my friends, keep up the good work!
  • Thank you! Great that you like the software.

Unfortunately VIRB Edit does not support average speed. You are correct, the Edge does its own calculations to give you that.

It seems easy enough to add, I'll put it on our list of possible G-Metrix additions. Can't promise a time-line though.

Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Wow, that would be INCREDIBLE. I would be so excited to see it added and I do think it would get lots of use. Like I said, great for inspecting efforts over greater distances. I have a century loop I do every month during the summer and I try to get lucky with green lights and improve my average speed. I'd loooove to see it visually on my overlay, comparing two videos side-by-side. If you put some work into it, the only other request I will add is the option of seeing 15.55mph, I.E. show a couple decimal points of measurement. I really wish Garmin would let us see 10.XX/hundredth decimal point because it gives a better sense of when you are climbing fast or slow. Look forward to it thank you!!
  • Well if it didn't happen in 5 years I don't think I should expect it.