VIRB Edit OSX 5.4.3

I've got serious issues with VIRB Edit, and I just discovered that both the Mac and Windows version have not been updated since November and December 2018 respectively; that's almost TWO YEARS OF NO DEVELOPMENT.

Is this software dead?

I just started using VIRB Edit 5.4.3 under OS X and it has massive bugs:  The GPS sync data is off (i.e. the MPH and heading readings do not reflect the video); it seems to stop responding to user interactions while playing video (I can't stop playback; it almost always won't play at the position clicked on the timeline bar; the video suddenly stops playing while the audio continues, etc).

I really like the ability to overlay various GPS data via Gauges, and this is why I'm trying to use VIRB Edit.

These issues occur both on my 2012 Mac Pro 12-core 3.46GHz desktop running Mojave and my 2012 MacBook Pro dual-core 2.93GHz running Catalina; performance is dismal on the laptop.

But in its present state, the OS X version it's completely unusable.  I'm contemplating boot my Mac Pro into Windows to try VIRB Edit to give it shot.

Are there any third party software that provides similar editing functionality, specifically involving incorporating GPS data?

• v5.4.2 is the last known version to work exceptionally well with macOS High Sierra. v5.4.3 was released to fix a start-up issue with macOS Mojave and although it does work - issues with video date stamps and the sort order of videos changing randomly were introduced. Forget about macOS Catalina. Can't speak to Windows.

As of this writing I'm running v5.4.2 on a early 2014 MacBook Air with 8GB running macOS High Sierra. I have two VIRB cameras too and all works very well. The combination of Garmin's early action cameras and VIRB Edit were IMO superior to what GoPro had to offer but it never really caught on to the same extent as the GoPros did. Many GoPro users though actually used VIRB Edit - go figure.

If you're willing to test OS's then my recommendation would be to take one of your MacBook's and set it up to dual boot with High Sierra as the other OS. Install v5.4.2 on that and leave it alone. It will prompt you to upgrade every time it loads but resist the urge! I doubt we'll ever see any further updates from Garmin - do they even sell the action cameras anymore?

Good Luck.

• Thanks for this, especially resorting to the previous version for stability.  Having a desktop Mac Pro, I do have High Sierra installed on a separate volume so I could use 5.4.2 under High Sierra if I give up on 5.4.3 under Mojave.

The VIRB Ultra 30 is still listed as available on Garmin's website, as well as through various online sites such as Amazon.

I do agree that VIRB Edit is the best there is in regards to GPS overlays due to offering various styles, unlike the discontinued GoPro Quik which offer only one style for each of the different "stickers" representing the individual GPS data.

Insta360 Studio 2020 as of yet does not offer any GPS overlays, and as you've mentioned, Insta360 as well as GoPro users have resorted to exporting their recordings in order to use VIRB Edit.

As my video uses presently cover only motorsports, the Ultra 30 satisfies my requirements perfectly as I don't need the more robust features of a GoPro Hero8 or MAX for personal sporting and outdoor endeavors.