Where to save waypoints/routes to while using Homeport and related questions

Former Member
Former Member
I have Garmin HomePort v2.2.5 and recently purchased BlueChart g2 Vision Mediterranean West and East Mediterranean & Black Sea data cards. I also have a GPS MAP 8008 Chart Plotter on my boat and have Garmin HomePort v2.2.5 installed on my Desktop PC and the Notebook PC I will take on the boat.

I want to set up most waypoints and routes in HomePort initially on my Desktop, then continue the process on my Notebook and finally transfer everything to my Chart Plotter. Then on an ongoing basis I want be able to transfer data between my Chart Plotter and my Notebook.

The East Med card shows 3.45 GB free of 7.38 GB and the West Med card shows only 91.9 MB free of 3.68 GB. The West Med card is a problem since it has virtually no memory free. Both cards are dated Aug 2014.

Questions

1. Is there a way to get the West Med maps on to a larger card? (eg. either for me to do or you to send me a replacement card with more memory)
2. How much built in memory is there on the GPS MAP 8008 and how much is available for storing waypoints/routes?
3. What is the C drive path in HomePort to get to Library>My Collection>Unlisted Data?
4. I will be starting to sail in May. What schedule is there for map updates? I know I get one free update for the first 6 months, so on the one hand I would like to wait as long as possible to do the free update but on the other, I might as well do the free update earlier if I know there won’t be another one before my 6 month free update period ends in early July 2015. Eg: If for example you do 6 monthly updates (so next one would be February 2015), then I might as well do the update as soon as it is available (in this case February 2015) so that I can use the latest maps for my waypoint and route passage planning.
5. I have 2 data card slots down below on my GPS MAP 8008, so presumably if I save my waypoints/routes to a separate initially blank data card on my Desktop from HomePort, then I can put the Garmin card and my card with waypoints/routes into the 2 chartplotter slots at the same time and the chartplotter will read both at once? (Presumably if this works it would be the best way to go if the answer to number 1. above is No?)

Thanks very much.

Bob
  • 1. Is there a way to get the West Med maps on to a larger card? (eg. either for me to do or you to send me a replacement card with more memory)

No. Maps/charts on pre-programmed cards cannot be copied to another card (and work). They're locked to the card they came on.

3. What is the C drive path in HomePort to get to Library>My Collection>Unlisted Data?

I'd use the File/Backup & File/Restore features to transfer data between machines.

As for your other questions I'm not sure.
  • I didn't get around to looking this up last night.

2. How much built in memory is there on the GPS MAP 8008 and how much is available for storing waypoints/routes?

Accepts data cards 2 SDTm cards (Garmin Card Reader required)
    Waypoints 5,000
    Routes 100
    Track log 50,000 points; 50 saved track

GPSMAP 8008 specs