HomePort, Base Camp and Garmin 910XT

I just purchased Homeport to use with ALL my Garmin units as on the Mac you can't see/use the blue charts with Base Camp.
I paid for the version of Homeports, which is almost identical to Base Camp, to be disappointed and frustrated that this is also not an one in all app.
I can now use my blue charts but can't send/receive data from my Garmin 910 xt.
Why does Garmin make two separate apps and none of them work with all the units???????
I have about 8 Garmin units and it sucks that there is not one software app to manage all my units.

I guess we are expected to use Homeport for water GPS units or others that do work (e.g. colorado) and then use Base Camp for all other NON marine units.

This is ridiculous. :mad:

Garmin, please make one software app that will link/communicate with all units OR make the file accessible from both Home Port and Base Camp.

You can't expect users to manage two apps and keep track of all waypoints and tracks separately, please, please make this change.
  • We are sorry for your frustration.
    We will look into adding support for additional devices on HomePort for the next release.
  • Former Member
    0 Former Member over 11 years ago
    Homeport for Mac

Sorry to piggyback on this thread, but at least it's related to my issue. (Every time I try to start a thread, the forum tells me I'm not signed in, then tells me there's already a user with my screen name when I try to sign in (because I'm already signed in... see??))

Anyway; Hope somebody out there reads this. I have a Macbook Pro. I have a Garmin Map76. I have Blue Charts for the Garmin that I bought and loaded in 2003 using a borrowed PC. I'd like to be able to use Homeport for Mac to view and manage my Blue Charts on my Macbook. 1) Will Homeport allow my 2010 Mac to read and navigate through my 2003 Garmin Blue charts and 2) will I be able to communicate with my Map76 if I get the correct cord adapter for the Mac?

Currently if I attempt to load the Blue Charts CD into my Mac, it gives me an index of the contents, but nothing will run.

Thank you in advance for any info. about this very confusing topic--(which software for Mac, what does it do EXACTLY? Which exact Blue Charts will Homeport let you access (date, etc), and what is the nature of that interaction? etc etc)
  • Any updates Garmin?
    Its been 6 months and still having a hard time managing land base, aviation and marine waypoints in two separate apps.
    When will one app handle both marine and land base waypoints? (sadly like on windows).
    THank you,
    Gustavo
  • Updates????

Hello Garmin,

I just got an update on the Garmin BaseCamp.

Still the same issue, when will a generic App will come so we can manage 1 user database and not need to have 2 separate ones.
    Still only Homeport works with marine maps but BaseCamp for most other land based units.

Please advice.
  • Apologies for digging up a 5-year old question, but Garmin has yet to answer it. Why are BaseCamp and HomePort still two separate applications?

I have been mostly pleased with BaseCamp for Mac with my 62st and Upper Midwest Fishing Guide chip for lake depths but now I got a 64st with the US LakeVu HD and BaseCamp will not recognize the map chip. Garmin Support told me to use HomePort. First time I had heard of it.

I have not not played with HomePort enough to know whether or not it has all of BaseCamp’s features. I certainly do not wish to maintain two separate sets of data.
  • You can make the suggestion here http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/ but as far as I know there is no further development planned of either BaseCamp or HomePort so they are what they are.
  • Incredible to hear that development on these apps is done. ?? It just seems that the ability to read and display the data on Garmin’s own Lake Vu charts could be added to BaseCamp. Not all of one’s travels are exclusively land-based or exclusively water-based.