Importing Echomap sonar data into Basecamp or Homeport

I recorded sonar data using my Echomap CHIRP 44DV. I could see the contours appear on the screen of the fishfinder and was delighted with the results. When I brought the SD card to my computer, I found several files with names that are obviously coordinate based. When I clicked on one of them, I got the following message:

"/Volumes/NO NAME/Garmin/Quickdraw/Contours/N571998208W1097596928/N571998208W1097596928.qdc" could not be imported.

In Basecamp, I saw a reference to what must have been the data listed as ADM... Clicking on this, nothing happened.

In an internet search, nothing useful came up on "Quickdraw". In the Garmin forum, nothing.

I downloaded Homeport. While in Homeport, I again clicked the "/Volume/..." file. The Basecamp application immediately opened and gave the same error message.

How do I get the beautiful map I saw on my Fishfinder into a file on my computer?
  • Not sure why you're clicking on anything in your sd card?

Run Homeport, with the sd card in your mac, and then select the relevant map ... should be in the toolbar under Maps
  • Bait and... bait.

Thanks for your help, but it did not work for me. There is no "Maps" on my toolbar. I ended up going to the store where I bought the fish finder so that I could hook it up and verify that the charts I created were in fact, recorded. While I was at the store, I called Garmin support and found out:

1. Quickdraw was introduced early in 2016 and is available for use on the fish finder only.
    2. Eventually the charts will be available for viewing in Homeport. Garmin is working on it.

I think Garmin was deceptive in their marketing of this product. I think I could share my SD card with someone else with Garmin equipment. This is not the same as sharing charts. I cannot create a useful chart to plan an outing. The only way I can plan anything is by sitting in my boat and looking at a 4.3 inch screen. The purpose of creating a chart is so you don't have to sit in your boat looking at a 4.3" screen.

I paid for the device, added LakeVu Hd Maps and paid someone $100 to install the device on my boat. I trailered the boat an additional 100 miles to have this work done (two round trips). I have invested at least twenty hours and $700 in trying to set up this machine so that it will do what it said it will do. The boat had additional holes drilled in it, so even if I were to go back to what I had before, the boat would be defaced.

All I can do now is wait for Garmin to do the product development promised in the literature. And even then, it will be useful only on Homeport, not Basecamp, which is more useful for inland projects.

I am pretty unhappy with Garmin.
  • Not sure why you're unhappy with Garmin. Having just looked at the details for Quickdraw (wasn't aware of it until now) I see nothing that suggests it's compatible with Homeport or BaseCamp now, just that you can share it via Garmin Connect.

Share Maps in the Quickdraw Community

The Quickdraw Community on Garmin Connect is where you can easily share data with others. Just log in and select the marine profile. From there, you can upload your Quickdraw Contours map data. Then, typically within a day, other users will be able to search for and locate your maps and easily download them for their own use.
  • So is there any update on this? is garmin connect the only way to view quickdraw contours on a PC? Is Garmin actually working on ways to view them on basecamp or homeport? I've spent quite a bit of time and effort using quickdraw on my home lake, not sure I want to share that with the general public.
    Also Ive noticed when you do a quickdraw the creek channels are no longer visible as dotted lines, any way around this?