This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Garmin Express reports Unable to Sync activity data with my 1030... no kidding.

Every other time that I click on the Sync button in Garmin Express (Mac), I get a popup with the title: "Unable to Sync" which says: We couldn't sync the daily activity data (i.e., steps taken) from this device because it's not set as your activity tracker.

Why am I getting this popup? It's an Edge 1030. I don't think it can record steps taken. So why is Express reporting this? It seems to think this is an activity tracker that has not been selected.

It does provide a link with the text: "Change Activity Tracker". This link, of course, goes nowhere. To be precise, it goes to: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/devices. Here I get the message: [h=2]Page Not Found[/h]
We're sorry. The page you're looking for no longer exists.

FYI: This does not happen with my 1000, just the 1030. Both are up to the latest firmware, both have roughly the same data and apps. Express is also up to the latest version (6.4.0.0).

• I have the same problem with my 935, even though it IS set as the step tracker....
  • Try removing from Garmin Express and then readding it.
  • Whenever I have Sync or Update Installation problems between Garmin Express, my Mac or my Edge 800, the solution is:
    1. Quit Garmin Express
    2. Go to the Garmin Connect website.
    3. Click on the device icon in the top right corner of the Garmin Connect site (it will likely have a small blue notification dot over the icon if there is a problem)
    4. When you click the device icon, you will see Device Settings and user Settings and an "x" to remove the settings
    5. Try removing the "User Settings" by clicking the 'X'
    6. Launch Garmin Express on your Mac and try to sync or install updates again.
    7. If that doesn't work, try removing the "Device Settings" like you did the 'User Settings'
    8. Try to sync/update in Garmin Express again.

Usually, the culprit is that I made an update to my gear, or profile (such as body weight) on the Garmin Connect website, AND THEN that gets out of sync with the data on my Garmin Edge 800. That triggers the error. If you recently updated your user profile data in any way (age, weight, height, gear, etc.) you will likely see this problem.
  • Whenever I have Sync or Update Installation problems between Garmin Express, my Mac or my Edge 800, the solution is:
    1. Quit Garmin Express
    2. Go to the Garmin Connect website.
    3. Click on the device icon in the top right corner of the Garmin Connect site (it will likely have a small blue notification dot over the icon if there is a problem)
    4. When you click the device icon, you will see Device Settings and user Settings and an "x" to remove the settings
    5. Try removing the "User Settings" by clicking the 'X'
    6. Launch Garmin Express on your Mac and try to sync or install updates again.
    7. If that doesn't work, try removing the "Device Settings" like you did the 'User Settings'
    8. Try to sync/update in Garmin Express again.

Usually, the culprit is that I made an update to my gear, or profile (such as body weight) on the Garmin Connect website, AND THEN that gets out of sync with the data on my Garmin Edge 800. That triggers the error. If you recently updated your user profile data in any way (age, weight, height, gear, etc.) you will likely see this problem.

blogcycle - I'm not seeing any "x" to remove settings. Do you mean reset? My edge and forerunner have the same user settings. I've tried removing my forerunner from garmin express and adding it back without any luck. I haven't tried removing both the edge and the forerunner and then adding them back, though. Can you screenshot this elusive "x" you're talking about for me, please?
  • Tried that fix, but it didn't work. Tried turning off activity tracking and turning it back on, too. No luck

I did notice that changing the name of the device in Garmin Express didn't change it on the website, so that implies there's some disconnect between Connect and Express.

I think this ties to having a Fenix 5 as my tracker, which then got deleted from Express and Connect rather than retired, so now I'm thinking something in Garmin's system is 'stuck' on thinking the 5 is my tracker and that's blocking my 5+ from being the tracker.
  • I have the same error. No solution??
  • I decided to try another computer, and it worked. So the issue was with Garmin Express. I uninstalled it (google what to delete from your system) and the reinstalled. It works now.
  • In case any developers of Garmin Express is on here. Attached is a screenshot and system log with a failed sync.
    macOS: Mojave
    GE version: 6.12.0.0
    Garmin device: Fenix 5S Plus

I have the same scenario as newbodies above, where I got a replacement watch. I removed the previous watch from https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customers/myUnits.htm so that does not seem to be conflicting here.

I did uninstall Garmin Express using Appcleaner: https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/
    Then I re-installed Garmin Express and updated it. But it still errors on sync.

Here is the official full uninstall instructions for Garmin Express on Mac:
    https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...n_installsetup
    After having followed these instructions exactly, the sync error is still there after a clean re-install of Garmin Express 6.12.0.0.

I can, however, upload all workouts using Garmin Connect on my Android phone. So, the problem seems to lie with Garmin Express on macOS.

I was on the phone with Garmin support about this case, and it seems this is a known issue for some people on macOS and the recommendation was to try another computer.
  • Same issue here with 935 that is set as the activity tracker on a Mac running High Sierra 10.13.6. Started a couple of weeks ago out the blue. This is not a replacement watch and my first activity tracker.

Tried uninstalling garmin express, re installing version 6.12.0.0 but still getting the same error on Garmin Express when i try to sync or install.

Uploads are working via Garmin Connect mobile on my iPhone 7 running iOS 12.1.4

It is pretty frustrating.

Update: With my watch already connected to my mac i closed GC, then reopened it, sync and install worked fine. Once. Then back to old issue. Still let me update my 935 to new 12.50 software and hopefully stop my 935 thinking it needs to update to 12.2 when it is already running 12.2. First world problems.