This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

BaseCamp Mobile

According to the fēnix announcement there is going to be a BaseCamp Mobile for smartphones. Can you tell us if there will be a Beta for this app assuming it will be made available on iOS devices? :D

Cheers,
  • I don't believe there will be a beta. The first version will be iOS only and iOS betas are very difficult to set up.
  • OK. Really looking forward to seeing what BC Mobile and do for us.

Cheers,
  • According to the fēnix announcement there is going to be a BaseCamp Mobile for smartphones. Can you tell us if there will be a Beta for this app assuming it will be made available on iOS devices? :D

Cheers,

I read the fenix announcement several month back, sure hopes it takes advantage of the larger screen iPad. Smart phones are too small to be useful in my opinion. Garmin StreetPilot and Navigon are both Garmin owned and used for street navigation. I assume and hope BaseCamp for iOS will function similar to the current BaseCamp and be a planning tool. I really look forward to the release but I see a lot of hurtles for the development team. I want maps, free is good but someone must pay development cost. What if LTM came with iOS BaseCamp support? I owe three life time map because of upgrades to GPS, and it would be nice if it was retro-active. If that is not possible, I am sure I would buy another Life Time Map. Cell tower data does not have the coverage for many of the places we visit. The Navigon down load a state in advance works pretty well.

Thank for the continue support of the Mac and iOS.
  • I'm also hoping for a fully functional BaseCamp on the iPad. I could also see Garmin using a Proprietary Wireless dongle like the ANT+ one currently available for transferring data. Although I can't imagine using the current Garmin ANT+ wireless service like that on my Montana as the transfer performance is abysmal.

My expectation? BaseCamp Mobile will be very limited in function and might even only "talk" to the fēnix watch.
    Cheers,
  • My expectation? BaseCamp Mobile will be very limited in function and might even only "talk" to the fēnix watch.

The Mac team did not create the BaseCamp Mobile. It's primary purpose for now is to communicate with the fenix.
  • Make BaseCamp versatile enough, put it on smartphone with GPS receiver and you could use it instead of fenix. And I think many people will do it anyway, using free software with free maps. But without own application Garmin will lose some market, like it is doing now in case of Android platform. Programs like Oruxmaps support free maps in Garmin format, maybe they will be able to cooperate with fenix too.
  • Thanks azdrmn. I appreciate the feedback. Very disappointing and my personal opinion is that Garmin is making a very big marketing mistake calling that software BaseCamp Mobile. Expect there to be many unhappy Mac-BaseCamp customers.

Cheers,
  • Hmmm... it would appear it's already out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5eghX9ywKA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

According to the fēnix announcement there is going to be a BaseCamp Mobile for smartphones. Can you tell us if there will be a Beta for this app assuming it will be made available on iOS devices? :D

Cheers,
  • Looks like they marked it Private :confused: Was it really the Garmin BaseCamp? There is another Basecamp app out there which is CRM focused I think.

Cheers,
  • Funny, the iOS app will be the first, :) beta testing on Android is much easier, but there are more Apps and possibility's for (gps) track/file management on Android, so probably someone could beat Garmin to make a MapSource Android App ;)

(just teasing :) ;) )